substrate help

Kaska

I'm getting a redfoot tortoise. I read a lot of the posts on substrate and there is so much information. What I decided on is
5kg Coir Bale "Breeze Mixture" (64 Dry Quarts) Orchid Bark, Cactus, Potting Mix from Second Sun Hydroponics.

Does anyone have opinion on this? I would rather get something locally but I'm afraid to get something from the hardware store for fear of what is in it and I don't know what to look for at the pet store.

Also, how often should I change the substrate in the enclosure? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have RF but that sounds like a goo mix to me. As for pet stores, they are more expensive. As for hardware or big box stores, go organic.
Read the RF care sheet and check out the tortoiselibrary.org, great RF info and it's one of our long time member site.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, very interesting that coir is used for this purpose. I never knew! I wondered why people were coming in from a link in a tortoise forum to the shop.

Anyway, our Breeze blocks are simply crushed and shredded coconut husk that has been triple washed to remove salts, dried, and compressed.

Keep in mind that some horticultural coir contains calcium nitrate as a "buffer" as coir locks up large amounts of plant-available calcium when first used, and that's a problem for plant nutrition. This may not be easy to discern from the packaging of other products. We specifically ordered this mix without the buffer so it would be suitable for organic production.

Thank you for telling us this!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm getting a redfoot tortoise. I read a lot of the posts on substrate and there is so much information. What I decided on is
5kg Coir Bale "Breeze Mixture" (64 Dry Quarts) Orchid Bark, Cactus, Potting Mix from Second Sun Hydroponics.

Does anyone have opinion on this? I would rather get something locally but I'm afraid to get something from the hardware store for fear of what is in it and I don't know what to look for at the pet store.

Also, how often should I change the substrate in the enclosure? Thanks!

Coir should be fine. Orchid bark is fine, and my preference. Cactus mix and potting mix might have additives like perlite or vermiculite. I would not use either of those, but if you choose to use them, be sure they are free of those additives and fertilizers.

I don't change the substrate unless I intend to put a new tortoise in an enclosure. If you spot clean and remove poop and leftover food, there is no need to remove and replace substrate.