1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

substrate help

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Substrate' started by Kaska, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Kaska

Kaska New Member

I'm getting a redfoot tortoise. I read a lot of the posts on substrate and there is so much information. What I decided on is
    5kg Coir Bale "Breeze Mixture" (64 Dry Quarts) Orchid Bark, Cactus, Potting Mix from Second Sun Hydroponics.

Does anyone have opinion on this? I would rather get something locally but I'm afraid to get something from the hardware store for fear of what is in it and I don't know what to look for at the pet store.

Also, how often should I change the substrate in the enclosure? Thanks!
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I don't have RF but that sounds like a goo mix to me. As for pet stores, they are more expensive. As for hardware or big box stores, go organic.
    Read the RF care sheet and check out the tortoiselibrary.org, great RF info and it's one of our long time member site.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Thank you for telling us this!
  4. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Coir should be fine. Orchid bark is fine, and my preference. Cactus mix and potting mix might have additives like perlite or vermiculite. I would not use either of those, but if you choose to use them, be sure they are free of those additives and fertilizers.

I don't change the substrate unless I intend to put a new tortoise in an enclosure. If you spot clean and remove poop and leftover food, there is no need to remove and replace substrate.