Substrate for brumation ?

swatsx

5 Year Member
I plan on burmating my Russian tortoise in my basement fridge this winter, I plan on doing a decent size cooler enough he can move around in and it's deep, what is a good substrate? Cocoa coir ? I'm getting my fridge to 42 degrees on the bottom shelf I have two thermometers and I'm doing a cooler incase of mild temp fluctuations I think it'll be more stable.

I'm doing this because we are doing major renovations to the basement and that's where she usually stays in the winter I don't want her to get sick from the chemicals or paint or dust.

Also last year I burmated sp? Her for 6 weeks but not in the fridge just in basement floor at 60 degrees

I know she needs to be void of all foods prior

I know there is risk

No no one can take or or put her in another part of the house

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Glad you are going to a fridge as 60 is much too warm…

I don't like coco coir for hibernation because it is too messy. I like my hibernation substrate to be relatively dry, and coir is very dusty and messy when dry. It will get in your tortoises nose and eyes. Blechh.

I prefer to use fine grade orchid bark. They can dig into it and it relatively clean and dust free. I keep it ever so slightly damp, but not damp at all. Just not completely bone dry. Some people prefer newspaper, but I prefer something they can dig into better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I keep them in shredded newspaper.

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
When I hibernate my tortoise in a fridge I have them in plasticboxes were there is sand-soil and I put leaves ontop of the tortoise. Sometimes they bury themselves in the sand-soil and sometimes they dont.