Substrate and fire?

ajpowell89

Hi everybody,

I recently switched to coco coir to increase the humidity in my leopard tortoise's enclosure, but my dad found online that it is highly combustible and should be kept away from hear sources. I use heat lamps and a pig warmer for him. I am keeping it wet but it dries out quickly under his lamp. Are others concerned about this or have suggestions? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Most of us here on the forum who use coco coir, keep it dampened. I think a damp coco coir would be less likely to combust. And if you hang your lamps rather than using the clamp feature, it's even safer.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In order to raise humidity you should dump water into the substrate and mix it thoroughly with your hands so that it is evenly damp not wet. It should never be dry.

Your lamps should hang (you can construct something or buy lamp stands like this for hanging them) and thus there is no risk of them falling in to the substrate.

The clamp type lamp fittings have a bad reputation for their grip failing and the weight of the lamp pulling them down. Don't use one. If your lamps are hanging then they will be fine as thousands of tort owners will tell you :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The coir should not dry out if your housing him properly in a closed chamber. If he is of a couple years or more and no longer in a closed chamber, but a humid hide only, then pour warm water on the coir, not just spray it. I and have never seen or heard of anyone having a fire, except when their lights fell usually by using the clamps.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Any fibrous plant matter is highly combustible. A spark will set it on fire easily. But it would take like 400F of straight heat to start it on fire.