Subspecies of potential tortoise?

JessMARBie

So I've been lurking this forum for months researching Hermann's tortoises. My work just got one in, we usually get Russians, also this is our last tortoise apparently. I know it's not great to get them from pet stores but he's a really great price and friendly. I'd love a western or also a dalmatian. I'm leaning toward this one being a dalmatian but I would like some experienced input please! Also any idea how old this one might be based on size? (I know it varies a lot)

20160503_102001.jpg 20160503_102012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JessMARBie

Darn I was getting my hopes up because of his "key hole" shape. Is there a way too tell the gender at this size? I'm still kinda interested in getting him/her

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
They can all have the keyhole to some degree especially when young. It's a male for sure, no doubt about it.

JessMARBie

Ok thanks everyone, this little guy now has a home with me :D Would there be any way to guess how old he is based on size? I know it all depends on how they're raised but I'd like to have some idea if he's you know 2, 4 etc

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Ok thanks everyone, this little guy now has a home with me :D Would there be any way to guess how old he is based on size? I know it all depends on how they're raised but I'd like to have some idea if he's you know 2, 4 etc
There really is no way of knowing whatsoever unless you know the hatch date - not even a best guess

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Based on the way some of mine have grown I'd say about 3....but that's just an educated guess.