Stupid question about UVB lights

Freckles24

Location (City and/or State)
TN
Okay, so I am looking to buy a UVB light for a 40 gallon tank. (I have an ultratherm on back glass for heat so it just heats the air) I have seen so many bulbs but only about 2 light fixtures. I've concluded that spiral bulbs are a no no. Still I don't know what size to use or brand or really anything. Can someone tell me what I should buy or use? Also, this is for a box turtle I'm not sure if that makes any difference in the light. & I think this will get more answers here as opposed to the EBT page.

Freckles24

TN
I would use the long fluorescent type UVB bulbs. 24 or 36 inches. What is an ultra therm?

Ultratherms are a brand of "under the tank heating" (UTH) mats. They're really big in keeping hermit crabs and we (hermit crab keepers) tape them to the back or side glass wall. Instead of heating the sub and drying it out, it heats the air and leaves the sub at the very bottom of the tank cool. It also keeps the animals from touching it and getting hurt (because it's above the soil level).

Freckles24

TN
Where do I get the fixture for a 24 or 36 in bulb? Is it a specific UVB fixture? Or just a normal one

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There are only two size bulbs (diameter) you will normally see for UVB tubes. The T8 size and the T5 size. That is all that matters - you need to get a fixture that accepts that size tube. So any T8 24" fixture will work if that is the size bulb you are getting. I personally would not go with the cheapest fixtures as the quality of the ballast is the main issue with price. So there is value and bulb life, that will be gained by getting a decent fixture.

Freckles24

TN
There are only two size bulbs (diameter) you will normally see for UVB tubes. The T8 size and the T5 size. That is all that matters - you need to get a fixture that accepts that size tube. So any T8 24" fixture will work if that is the size bulb you are getting. I personally would not go with the cheapest fixtures as the quality of the ballast is the main issue with price. So there is value and bulb life, that will be gained by getting a decent fixture.

What brand do you recommend? And would 25 or 50 UVB be better?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just wanted to mention before you spend a bunch on lighting that a 40 is too small for anything but a baby box turtle. You didn't specify the size turtle, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Freckles24

TN
Just wanted to mention before you spend a bunch on lighting that a 40 is too small for anything but a baby box turtle. You didn't specify the size turtle, so I thought I'd bring it up.

She is a hatchling (22 grams) and about 1.25" on her plastron.