Stupid question about soaking...

SeanH.

Ok, I know this is probably dumb as hell, but... I kinda having trouble understanding something.

It's really important to soak tortoises and you're supposed to do it in warm shallow water for around 10-15 minutes, right?

How does the water stay warm that long??? I mean I'm just scared of the tortoise getting cold. The room temperature is probably going to be lower than the temperature of the enclosure. Wouldn't it be bad for the tortoise to sit around all wet in a "colder" room?... Could a heating pad underneath keep the water warm enough? Or is that unnecessary? o_O

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
I set mine inside the enclosure, it's closed chamber.

What type of enclosure are you using?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also did my baby in the bathroom sink. When it got a little less warm, I would empty some and fill back up with warm. I have also done it in the closed chamber, like for my baby now. Some will place the tub under a heat light or ceramic heat emitter. Any way is fine as long as the baby and water stays warm, but doesn't get fried under a heat light, put half the soaking dish under the heat source the other half not.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use cement mixing tubs from Lowe's / Home Depot. The larger the volume - the longer temps are retained. I do soak for at least 30 minutes. The room is 70f and I carefully watch the temp with a Heat gun. I start with 95f water half way up their shell. It will normally cool down to mid 80's in about 15 minutes. By then it is pretty messy anyway from their poop, so a water change back up to 95f takes me the rest of the way.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Nothing stupid about this question at all.
The questions you've been asking are intelligent ones in preparation for getting a tortoise.
Usually here, the water stays warm long enough, but at times like now, when it's colder, i simply change the water if the temp drops too low, which i also do when Tidgy pees in the water (occasionally), or poops (very rarely) .
And I prefer 15 to 20 minutes, myself.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
No question is ever stupid when one's learning, @SeanH. :)

Personally, I keep checking the temp of the water, and once it cools down I change it. :D

Looking forward to seeing pics of your tort, once you get him/her. :D

JENNY04

I soak my tortoise in a container that I set in my kitchen sink. My water gets really hot I let my water run at the hottest in the sink filling it up letting it sit for a while let almost all of it out leaving just a scosh in it then I put warm water in the container set it in the sink and put my tortoise in the container. Works for me.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I soak my tortoise in a container that I set in my kitchen sink. My water gets really hot I let my water run at the hottest in the sink filling it up letting it sit for a while let almost all of it out leaving just a scosh in it then I put warm water in the container set it in the sink and put my tortoise in the container. Works for me.
I usually put a couple of gallon water jugs in the enclosure and let them sit overnight They get to perfect temps inside the enclosure and that's my soak water. I pour it in the tubs let the torts soak and refill the jugs for the next day.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I have found that , if you can hold your hand in the water it is not too hot for your tortoise ! This hot water stays warm enough for 45 minutes to an hour . When Speedy starts fidgeting and running around , I know it is to cool and he is done soaking !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
One of the regular posters in the redfoot sub-forum has put forth that soaking may not be the critical thing many suggest. I've not had redfoots, so won't say this is a universal thing to consider but the arguments for redfoots not being soaked are compelling. Access to water is indeed very important, there is no doubt about that for any species.

My point is depending on the species and the enclosure design may make soaking much less a critical consideration.

SeanH.

Thanks for all the awesome tips. I got a better sense now for how to do things. How hot is the water supposed to be? @Speedy-1 said it's not too hot if you can put your hand in... That would mean 100F is ok??? I was under the impression luke warm is the way to go...

stevenf625

5 Year Member
I've been using 2 tubs.
The first with 85F water in it and a second with 95+F water in it.
After soaking in the first tub for 15-20 min I switch him to the second tub which has cooled down by then.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks for all the awesome tips. I got a better sense now for how to do things. How hot is the water supposed to be? @Speedy-1 said it's not too hot if you can put your hand in... That would mean 100F is ok??? I was under the impression luke warm is the way to go...

I do exactly what @Speedy-1 does: I check the water with my hand before soaking Oli, and when he's being soaked I make sure (again with my hand) that it hasn't cooled down for him, especially now that it's extremely cold here.:(

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've been using 2 tubs.
The first with 85F water in it and a second with 95+F water in it.
After soaking in the first tub for 15-20 min I switch him to the second tub which has cooled down by then.
A good idea.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
What are the temps under your basking area ? 95 to 100 , why would soaking at that temp cause problems ? You are under the wrong impression , you are soaking a tortoise not bottle feeding a human infant ! ;)

P.S. - I said if you can "HOLD" your hand in it !