Stupid Egg Question

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
I have what is probably a stupid egg question. Can they go dormant in the winter and hatch in the spring? I was under the assumption that if they did not hatch in the fall, if there were more eggs, they would not hatch. That would seem to be simple biology, but turtles are amazing creatures. I had three hatchlings in the fall and thought that was it. But I'm remodeling the enclosure and I just found the two egg shells pictured below. Are these just the egg shells from last fall (I don't think I would have just not noticed them), or do I need to be watchful of more hatchlings?

Attachments

• SHELLS.jpg
    SHELLS.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 15

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I had eggs laid sometime late October Early November in Oklahoma that hatched in March. We had snow and ice on the ground during the times these eggs were in the ground. I think anything is possible

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
Ya'll are funny. I guess I'll keep an eye out for more little ones, then. I haven't seen them yet, but it's been cool and rainy. Hopefully I see them when it warms up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They actually hatch in September, but some stay in the ground until spring.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They actually hatch in September, but some stay in the ground until spring.
Exactly! This is very common with Western Painted Turtles and others that live in latitudes above 38 or so. The eggs hatch in the ground in fall, but if the temperature the top of the nest is cooler than the bottom of the nest, they will not dig up. They brumate in the nest chamber and wait for the ground above them to warm up. Even in my outdoor pond setup, I will get "hatchlings" emerging and find them in March or April.