Strange shell formation

pixiecore

So I recently received this young Hermann's tortoise and his carapace has an odd segmentation. I don't really mind as he is going to be used in an outreach program so being 'b grade' isn't a big deal, but the breeder won't answer my e-mails and I wanted to know if I should expect any unusual shell growth or if there's anything I should do to help him along? He has the essentials - UVA/UVB, calcium supplement/cuttlebone, and gets regular soaks, etc.Chompy.jpg

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is the first time I've seen something like this. It's like two scutes merged into one big scute.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome.

I'm not sure what we human can do in the helping part of his scute situation. As I read your post, looks like you know what you're doing. I don't think this little one will become a deformed monster or anything like that but for sure to be a unquiet looking one.

pixiecore

He certainly is special to me! Not a lot of people around here keep tortoises and I'm really glad I can help kids learn about our cool friend torties. As long as his shell doesn't grow weirdly out of control, I'm fine with his unusual appearance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some of us prefer the aberrant scute patterns.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
He should grow just fine, this is actually quite common where scutes will fuse but it's more commonly seen on the vertebral scutes.