Strange egg

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Yes, that's a margie egg. I've seen some weird ones myself. Last year, my Lady Gino laid a clutch of five, three regular sized eggs, two eggs that were approximately seventy percent the size of the regular eggs. Totally strange. Fortunately, one of the tiny eggs was fertile, and out popped a much smaller hatchling. Never did manage to catch up to it's clutch mates while I had it, but the tortoise was otherwise active and healthy.

T.G.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
thanks for the answers, do you think that i should integrate calcium? i already leave cuttle bone in the enclousure...

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Honestly, that depends upon where you live, I figure. Now, I'm not an expert on tortoise nutrition, but I can tell you that since I live in South Texas where there are local forms of tortoise, I don't do much in the way of supplementation. The natural soil here consists largely of clay that is heavily infused with calcium rich limestone. Water here is naturally hard, of course. As a result of my particular situation, I don't supplement my animals with calcium. I will, however, offer them a bath with a dusting of herptivite. For the adults, I do this once per month, and as I give them baths once per week, one of four baths is a vitamin bath. For the babies, I do this once per month also, but I give all of my babies baths twice per day (ensuring that youngsters are well hydrated is, in my opinion, of absolutely crucial importance, life or death in my experience; and I've lost my fair share of babies coming to this knowledge, so take it from someone who has learned the hard way).

Bottom line, if you live in an area that has mineral depleted soils (basically any place that had glaciers scrape across the landscape or has a preponderance of igneous rock, montane regions or volcanic areas), calcium supplementation is all the more important. Also, if you live in a place that has more cloudy days than sunny ones, full spectrum lighting is increasingly important. Lucky for me, I live in South Texas, where the sun rarely ceases to shine, the ground is chalk full of calcium and promotes the growth of every plant a tortoise's heart could desire, and sudden snaps of cold are limited to the two months of the year when my margies are safely brumating in a large upright fridge. But yes, depending upon your locale, calcium supplementation of food may be more necessary than not.

T.G.