Strange corner behaviour

David Wright

Hi, we got a Hermann's tortoise a few weeks ago. He seems really happy wandering around our large tiled open plan floor downstairs. He often makes his way around the boundaries, and at certain corners he pushes his head into the corner and keeps trying to force his way through the woodwork for quite long periods of time.
What is he trying to do? Does he want to escape?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi David, and welcome to the Forum!

The tortoise is trying to find a hiding place. They don't like 'resting' in the open.

It's really not a good idea to allow tortoises to live on the floor. They need a dedicated area, set up like it would be in the wild, with semi moist substrate on the floor of it, a couple hiding places, a waterer and a feeding tile and a few plants around for extra comfort and safety. Here's an example of an enclosure for a tortoise:

IMAG1852-1.jpg

David Wright

I should explain he does have an enclosure with substrate etc where he can eat and rest etc, but he makes it quite clear he likes to roam outside it as well. We could create somewhere in the room where he can hide as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the problem with allowing a tortoise, any tortoise, to realize that there is a big, wide, wonderful world outside the walls of his habitat. Once they learn that, they're never satisfied ever again to be contained.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I should explain he does have an enclosure with substrate etc where he can eat and rest etc, but he makes it quite clear he likes to roam outside it as well. We could create somewhere in the room where he can hide as well.

The problem with letting them roam loose in the house is that many of them eventually get sick, impacted, injured or killed. In every instance where one of these things has happened, the people were careful, loved their tortoise, and were sure that nothing could happen.

One lady smooshed her tortoises head in the door crack when she opened it. People kick and step on their tortoises all the time, causing broken legs, jaws or damaged eyes. Its usually too cold down there. My vet friends have shown me tons of tortoise X-rays with all sorts of wired items that have been swallowed. One member here had her tortoise swallow a 2" sewing pin, and she had no idea where it even came from.

Just don't do it. It is not worth the risk, and eventually, it will happen to you. Make the indoor enclosure larger, and use a large outdoor enclosure during nice weather.