Star Tortoise is Sick

Mehul

For few days he was active...but i keep lamp to maintain body temperature...but now i dont know how and why he became lazy again..
plz give me more suggestionz

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
For few days he was active...but i keep lamp to maintain body temperature...but now i dont know how and why he became lazy again..
plz give me more suggestionz
Your tortoise needs warmth - no less than 27C day or night.

It needs to be able to bask at 35-37C directly under the lamp, but the whole enclosure must not be too hot. Too much heat can make a tortoise inactive too.

Your tortoise needs UVB light either from a special reptile lamp indoors or from the sun by being outdoors for at least an hour a day. UVB does not pass through window glass.

Your tortoise needs twice daily soaks in warm water for at least 30 minutes each time to make sure it is hydrated

Your tortoise needs the correct diet. The link I gave you before tells you what you should be feeding it.

A tiny pinch of finely ground eggshell on food three times a week will provide calcium.

Mehul

yes i do the same...and m doing from last week but its not working..
how many days or months it will take to overcome the situation?

Mehul

Your tortoise needs warmth - no less than 27C day or night.

It needs to be able to bask at 35-37C directly under the lamp, but the whole enclosure must not be too hot. Too much heat can make a tortoise inactive too.

Your tortoise needs UVB light either from a special reptile lamp indoors or from the sun by being outdoors for at least an hour a day. UVB does not pass through window glass.

Your tortoise needs twice daily soaks in warm water for at least 30 minutes each time to make sure it is hydrated

Your tortoise needs the correct diet. The link I gave you before tells you what you should be feeding it.

A tiny pinch of finely ground eggshell on food three times a week will provide calcium.
..The eyes of my tortoise.u
is a sign of a good condition or bad?plz reply me ..
And if it is bad plz tell me some medicare.

Attachments

• 14905359886701405561784.jpg
    14905359886701405561784.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 20

Mehul

My star tortoise s not eating..not pooping nor peeing..not walking...sleeping all the time
I m serious abt that as there are no Vets around.
plz help me..need help .plz
PLZ THE ONE WHO KNOWS WHT TO DO PLZ HELP ME!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need more info. Ages/sizes. Temps for day, night and basking. What kind of lights/ heating elements you are using. What is the humidity? The substrate, how often you soak and how many you have and size of enclosure. What is their diet and do you have water available 24/7
Pictures of enclosure and torts will help and any other info you can give about their care and the care of them before you got them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, Mehul, but without being able to see how and where the tortoise lives, what you feed it, and actually holding it in my hands, I'm at a loss to help you. All I can tell you is to place him into a bowl of warm water and leave him there for a good half hour or more. The bowl should have tall sides so he can't climb out. You can put him under the light to keep the water warm. Not just for one time - do it every day.

In order for your tortoise to have reached this stage, there's probably something wrong with the way you're caring for him. Please read the care sheets we have for leopard tortoises (the care is the same as for stars) and make the necessary changes to your husbandry.

This thread should also help you: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rtoises-modified-for-indian-residents.139674/

Mehul

I'm sorry, Mehul, but without being able to see how and where the tortoise lives, what you feed it, and actually holding it in my hands, I'm at a loss to help you. All I can tell you is to place him into a bowl of warm water and leave him there for a good half hour or more. The bowl should have tall sides so he can't climb out. You can put him under the light to keep the water warm. Not just for one time - do it every day.

In order for your tortoise to have reached this stage, there's probably something wrong with the way you're caring for him. Please read the care sheets we have for leopard tortoises (the care is the same as for stars) and make the necessary changes to your husbandry.

This thread should also help you: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...rtoises-modified-for-indian-residents.139674/
I dont know abt the age but he is with us frm 4 yrs..
I m using 100watt bulb for heating for half and hour.2times a day
i fed him french beans and yes i have water 24/7

Attachments

• 1490540075848958449484.jpg
    1490540075848958449484.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Why are you only providing heat and light for an hour a day? He needs heat all day long and light 12-14 hours a day. What is the temperature at tortoise height underneath the bulb when it's on? What is the temperature when the bulb is not on? You need a good thermometer to know the temperatures - it's essential for keeping tortoises healthy.

Mehul

Why are you only providing heat and light for an hour a day? He needs heat all day long and light 12-14 hours a day. What is the temperature at tortoise height underneath the bulb when it's on? What is the temperature when the bulb is not on? You need a good thermometer to know the temperatures - it's essential for keeping tortoises healthy.

i will let u know till tomorrow..There you can see the distace between the bulb and my tortoise.!

14905407047001405561784.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Mehul

I hope the language barrier is not too great to help you. You have received a lot of good information here, that it seems you do not understand, or have not applied. The condition of your tortoise is something that has been happening slowly over the past year or more. From what you are describing and the picture of the swollen legs and neck, the tortoise probably has severe kidney problems/failure and probably more damage. Poor care, bad diet, too dry, not enough heat, incorrect lighting, no substrate, and a barren, stressing enclosure all slowly lead to failure. It takes a long time to get this bad, and when the symptoms we can see become evident, it is often too late. It takes a long time to get this bad, and takes a long time to recover, if it can.

You really need to read, study, learn, and APPLY the care sheet Tom posted for you earlier. Here it is again. It is written for sulcatas and leopards, but stars do excellent kept the same way.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your star needs a place it feels secure and provides the right environment and climate. Very warm and humid. UVB exposure at least a few hours a week, and a good high fiber diet of grasses and weeds with low protein and little sugars. No fruit, no beans. Stars are very active tortoises and need room to walk and exercise in a large enough enclosure. Walking on bare wood, tile, papers, etc. is not good for them. Yvonne posted a great picture just after Tom's post, of an enclosure to give you an idea of a good place for a star to live. You need to provide an enclosure more like that. Look back at this post. It is the 13th post of this thread back on page one. As soon as possible do as much as you can to make a place like that for your tortoise.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
@Mehul ½ hr of heat 2 x day is NOT ENOUGH. Your tort is very sick and needs to be kept warm 24/7. I really hope that you take to heart all the advise you've been given here. People are trying to help you but all they can do is give you advice. You have been given excellent advice now it's up to you to make all the changes if you wish for your tortoise to have a chance. We will all be rooting for you here. Keep us updated with pictures of the progress of your husbandry changes and updates.