Spud's daily posts :)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
Hello!
Thanks for the compliments :p
I am just using peat. :)
Thank! Saw the post of the bag too. Im guessing youre in uk since you quoted the price in pounds. Im in Ireland and have a russian .Do you know about fertiliser or anything in that product. I want to use peat but am worried about chemicals or fertiliser...

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Thank! Saw the post of the bag too. Im guessing youre in uk since you quoted the price in pounds. Im in Ireland and have a russian .Do you know about fertiliser or anything in that product. I want to use peat but am worried about chemicals or fertiliser...
Yeah, I'm in England.
I use peat because of the fact that there is no chemicals in it. I couldn't find topsoil without anything in and the breeder also used peat. Because it is so cheap, I just replace it whenever it gets dry in his indoor enclosure and I just spray it with the hose in his outdoor enclosure.

There are more substrate options specifically for reptiles if your not comfortable using it such as Eco earth, coco choir and even orchid bark. However, from pet shops it is a lot more expensive. :)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Yeah, I'm in England.
I use peat because of the fact that there is no chemicals in it. I couldn't find topsoil without anything in and the breeder also used peat. Because it is so cheap, I just replace it whenever it gets dry in his indoor enclosure and I just spray it with the hose in his outdoor enclosure.

There are more substrate options specifically for reptiles if your not comfortable using it such as Eco earth, coco choir and even orchid bark. However, from pet shops it is a lot more expensive. :)

Ya im using repti bark but its not exactly digging material. It dries very quickly and doesnt dig very well. I even notice i get splinters in my hands when i am mixing water into it. Saw ur guy digging in the peat and thas what digging should look like. Digging in wood chip is a bit of a farce!! Does he ever have problems with his eyes nose from the soil or eating it?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Ya im using repti bark but its not exactly digging material. It dries very quickly and doesnt dig very well. I even notice i get splinters in my hands when i am mixing water into it. Saw ur guy digging in the peat and thas what digging should look like. Digging in wood chip is a bit of a farce!! Does he ever have problems with his eyes nose from the soil or eating it?
He doesn't really eat it but does occasionally eat tiny stones in it so if I see any then I just pick them out. When he burrows, he does get it in his eyes a bit but It washes off in his bath. Digging down in moist substrate is good for the shell, too :)

If you can't find peat, coco choir or Eco earth bricks can be found in a pet shop and are good for digging in. Maybe you could make a digging area so that you don't have to get rid of all your bark if you don't want to :) coco choir on its own can get pretty dusty though, I've heard.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Hello Spud's moss.
Hello, Spud The Tortoise.
Hello, Spud's Mum.
How are you doing ?
I'm fine thanks :)
Already managed to kill the moss as I stupidly soaked it in boiling water in case of bugs.

Landed some new skills in the gym. Conditioning was hard last week but I managed to cheat and not do some of it :p

How are you? :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm fine thanks :)
Already managed to kill the moss as I stupidly soaked it in boiling water in case of bugs.

Landed some new skills in the gym. Conditioning was hard last week but I managed to cheat and not do some of it :p

How are you? :)
No minor injuries recently, i hope.
i'm jolly well, thanks for asking.
But that's cos I haven't been to the gym.
For years.
Or ever, actually.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Spud is currently having breakfast in front of his humidifier after a nice warm soak.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464687437.518308.jpg

I'm cold and wet as its a miserable day outside and I had to get his food and move the seed trays as they were drowning. Will have to venture out into the rain again to go to the pet shop as I've run out of gerbil food.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Spud is currently having breakfast in front of his humidifier after a nice warm soak.
View attachment 175594

I'm cold and wet as its a miserable day outside and I had to get his food and move the seed trays as they were drowning. Will have to venture out into the rain again to go to the pet shop as I've run out of gerbil food.
Has it stopped raining yet ?
Spud is looking magnificent, as always.