Spring is here - SAFE seed starting ideas needed for outdoor enclosure

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
I have purchased tortoise seed mixes in the past and LOVED them yet want to also create my own. I was stalking... er... looking at past posts here and read out about GrowOrganic.com. I picked out the Non-Dormant Alfalfa and also Palestine Strawberry Clover, is the strawberry clover safe? Any other (easy grow) suggestions for Southeast Texas (hot) areas that would be good to plant for a Sulcata? Another thing, they sell the seed in one pound quantities, given that this is for a little year old Sulcata, can I store the seeds and use as needed? Maybe double bagged in the freezer? We are building a 5'x12' raised bed for Tuleo (we plan on moving next year) and will be using the mix (along with a ton of plants) in that and also planting in containers for his indoor oasis since he will only be outside while the weather is nice (inside as dusk.)

Thank you for your help!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You normally want to plant seeds harvested fairly recently, however, I've saved seeds for years and planted them. They still sprouted and grew. Maybe not 100%, but enough. Be sure to store the left over seeds in a cool, dry place.

When you said you picked out the clover and the alfalfa, do you mean you eliminated those two? I think it would be ok to plant them.

Good luck with your raised bed. Be sure to post pictures. I'd love to see what you're doing.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Sorry, I meant picked out "to buy" - any other quick sprouting suggestion's? I love the laziness of the tortoise seed mixes available. Toss, rake, water (daily) and you have healthy stuff for your torts. My kind of gardening...lol.

I will be sure to post photos, it won't be 100% ideal for long term but with moving (and our yard size/layout) I think it is the best call for now. I am itching to get started!

Thank you Yvonne! Happy Easter!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks, it was a pretty nice day for me.

I like the mediterranean seed mixture that tortoisesupply.com sells. And the tortoises eat it all.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thanks Yvonne, did you mean the Testudo Seed mix? http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix I have never ordered from tortoisesupply.com (sorry to be such a pain, you get the pleasure of holding my hand this thread.) :oops:
While I have you, any suggestions on the best place to get cuttlebones in bulk. Obviously my guy is pretty small but he is picky as all get out. After his cuttlebone looks a certain way (and I have no idea what THAT is) he refuses to touch it unless he gets a new one. I need to buy stock in cuttlebone, it appears.

Thanks for the help, I very much appreciate it. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's the mixture I meant.

I buy my cuttlebone in bulk when the bird mart comes to town. It's a twice a year event. I usually buy a 5lb box for around a dollar a pound. I just looked it up online and it's around $40 for 5lbs at amazon.