Spot on Sulcata's Neck.

Wolfie

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
There's a dark brown spot on Lulu's neck. I've never seen it before. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 1498169309209.jpg
    1498169309209.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 64

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try washing it off with just water and your hand to rub it a but. It looks to me like something stuck there. If it doesn't wash off then just keep an eye on it for changes.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Picture isn't overly clear, but some ticks look like little brown spots. Can you see any little legs on it?

Wolfie

Montana
I don't see any legs, but Lulu is pretty shy about me petting her neck. She only lets me pet her head and chin. Not sure how to go about getting at the spot.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I don't see any legs, but Lulu is pretty shy about me petting her neck. She only lets me pet her head and chin. Not sure how to go about getting at the spot.

Can you use some tweezers and try to move it to see if it is movable but attached to the skin? If so, it is probably a tick. If so, you can grip the body of it with the tweezers and pull it off.

Or you can try getting a more clear photo of it so we can see it better and make a more definitive diagnosis.

zovick

10 Year Member!
@Wolfie

Any updates on the neck spot? Was it a tick or not? What has happened since Friday? If it was a tick, it would most likely get larger, then fall off when full of blood.

Wolfie

Montana
It's not a tick. It hasn't gotten any bigger or changed shape. I tried to wash ot off but ot wony come off. Not sure what to do. It doesn't seem to bother her. Maybe I should leave it alone unless ot starts to bug her or change.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It's not a tick. It hasn't gotten any bigger or changed shape. I tried to wash ot off but ot wony come off. Not sure what to do. It doesn't seem to bother her. Maybe I should leave it alone unless ot starts to bug her or change.

Maybe it is what we used to call a "blood blister" in the old days. They would form under the surface of the skin after some type of trauma like pinching the skin on your fingertip in a drawer or something similar. Maybe her skin got pinched somehow and it is blood under the skin surface.

Wolfie

Montana
Maybe it is what we used to call a "blood blister" in the old days. They would form under the surface of the skin after some type of trauma like pinching the skin on your fingertip in a drawer or something similar. Maybe her skin got pinched somehow and it is blood under the skin surface.

When I put her outside, I put her in a dog crate. She sticks her head through the bars. . . Maybe she accidentally got pinched that way.

Whatever it is, she doesn't care. She let me rub it and she didn't flinch so I'm assuming it doesn't hurt.

zovick

10 Year Member!
When I put her outside, I put her in a dog crate. She sticks her head through the bars. . . Maybe she accidentally got pinched that way.

Whatever it is, she doesn't care. She let me rub it and she didn't flinch so I'm assuming it doesn't hurt.

That is good. It sounds as though it is probably one of those "blood blisters" from pinching her neck skin. If so, it should gradually disappear over the next few weeks. Tortoises heal more slowly than humans, so it will take some time to resolve.