[split] Sulcata Help

mfgengrsteve

I just got my first sulcata tortoise and am presently using a crushed pecan substrate, as recommended by the pet store. I was told not to leave the heat lamp on all night, as long as temperatures did not fall below 60 degrees (according to a tortoise book I purchased). The point the book made was that it does not stay 78 degrees or higher in the desert at night all the time. Confusing information compared to what I have been reading here. The pet store also urged me to provide warm water to soak the baby in every day, which I have been doing. My baby's name is Kuboda and appears to be male, due to his longer tail. He is about 2 1/2 inches long right now, but I do not know how old he is (I will go back and ask if they know). I am looking forward to learning all I can about this delightful tortoise and hope to provide him with all that he needs to be healthy and happy. I live in Washington state, so not much sun here, except for a few weeks in the winter. I need to go through all the different posts to find out how to provide him with enough D3. Oh yes, and the pet store told me to put a cuttle bone in his pen to chew on, but he hasn't tried it, yet. I worry about his calcium needs. I imagine there is a topic somewhere here about that, too. Thank you for providing this forum, as I know I will learn a lot!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!!

1. crushed nut shells is not a good substrate. It would be quite harmful if he were to accidentally eat any of it...and it does get coated on the food. I like the small sized orchid bark, but most members here use coconut coir.

2. If your house gets much below 75F degrees, then you certainly DO need to leave the heat source on at night...not the light, but the heat. Read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section.

3. Kuboda is too small yet to know for sure if he's male or female.

4. There's a wonderful light called a Mercury Vapor Bulb that emits heat plus UVB.

5. I take a pinch of calcium powder between thumb and forefinger and sprinkle it over the food two or three times a week. Not too much or he won't eat.

mfgengrsteve

Yvonne G said:
Hi and welcome to the Forum!!

1. crushed nut shells is not a good substrate. It would be quite harmful if he were to accidentally eat any of it...and it does get coated on the food. I like the small sized orchid bark, but most members here use coconut coir.

2. If your house gets much below 75F degrees, then you certainly DO need to leave the heat source on at night...not the light, but the heat. Read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section.

3. Kuboda is too small yet to know for sure if he's male or female.

4. There's a wonderful light called a Mercury Vapor Bulb that emits heat plus UVB.

5. I take a pinch of calcium powder between thumb and forefinger and sprinkle it over the food two or three times a week. Not too much or he won't eat.
Thank you, so much! I will get one tomorrow! With all the conflicting information out there, it sure is nice to get advice from those who have experience. I value that.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to the forum! If you want a healthy smooth sulcata read everything Tom has linked you to . Here are some pictures to prove that it works . I got this one last father's day .

Attachments

• 1392688770996.jpg
    1392688770996.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 1392688779975.jpg
    1392688779975.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 20

mfgengrsteve

Got the calcium powder, hay, and UVB today. Had to order small orchid bark. Couldn't find coconut coir. I am already looking for a bigger pen, as his is only a 30 gallon tank. Kuboda loves his daily baths. Usually poops when I put him in it. I have been feeding him kale and mustard greens. He loves zucchini, but I don't feed him much of that. I still have so many threads to read and much to learn. Thanks again. You are all great!