[split] Pee in the substrate? when to change

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
The weather/temperature are not permitting us to take any of our tortoise outdoor in the Northern California now, So we kept them indoor with heating lamp and humidifier. We have four 2.5 inch Leopard Tortoise, and two (6.5 and 5.5 inch) radiated tortoise. Do we need to soak the daily? I like to use coco coil for substrate soon. I'm worry they will pee in it and will soon smell, the two radiated CAN REAL PEE.

What I have for substrate is some tile flip upside down, and putting cypress mulches in a pizza baking pen then add water under the heating light and try to keep the humidity at 60~70%.

I know coco coil can help for higher humidity but I'm worry the pee and smell may come after.

Thanks.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: Unanswered questions...

tortoises urine doesn't have a strong smell like cats or dogs. honestly I can't even describe it to you because I've never smelled it. the poop on the other hand.....i highly doubt you will have the problem of URINE smelling up the enclosure. poop, leftover food, dirty water dish and even the tort, but not urine. and you're really depriving your torts of what they love most, dirt! every tortoise loves dirt to bury in or sleep on and it would help the humidity a lot.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
RE: Unanswered questions...

stinax182 said:
tortoises urine doesn't have a strong smell like cats or dogs. honestly I can't even describe it to you because I've never smelled it. the poop on the other hand.....i highly doubt you will have the problem of URINE smelling up the enclosure. poop, leftover food, dirty water dish and even the tort, but not urine. and you're really depriving your torts of what they love most, dirt! every tortoise loves dirt to bury in or sleep on and it would help the humidity a lot.

Thank you for your reply. Thank you.

How about bugs? small insects?

My wife are very diligently pick-up and clean after them poop. No food will be in the enclosure because she use a small dishes to serve them food and enjoy (I said she enjoyed too much) watch then eat. she will pull the dish out after them walk away from it. So the rotten food I will not concern. I will try the coco coil for sure and report back.

Thank You, Thank You!!!!!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Unanswered questions...

stinax182 said:

There are exceptions. Manouria family urine has a very strong odor, especially when it gets old.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
RE: Unanswered questions...

mikeh said:
stinax182 said:

There are exceptions. Manouria family urine has a very strong odor, especially when it gets old.

Do you have couple old guys of Manouria ? What I have are Leopards and Radiated. I hope they will not too soon, to remind me of their existence.