[split] newbie with a question, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
I have a question already guys.
Lotus ( RT), has a tiny soft spot on her shell right side almost exactly dead center. It is right in the middle, i.e halfway between the front and back, and half way between the top and bottom of her. I noticed actually a smell first, then on closer inspection a soft spot which, if I depress it, VERY gently of course, shows a tiny stream of bubbles. In hoofed animals this would indicate an abscess. Could this also be true of tortoises. I understand the difference between shells and hoofs, but the principle of infection is the same even under a fingernail. My concern is that this tortoise has lived its whole life in an arid tank condition, she is now in an outside enclosure in south Florida, she also has a very shallow puddle/pond that she loves to soak in and I am worried that the quick and dramatic change in humidity has cause this problem. So far I have cleaned the area with swabs and a very mild antiseptic/anti fungal hydrogen peroxide wash. She is currently eating in direct sunlight so is dried off completely. I must add that this tortoise is otherwise very active exploring everywhere, eating very well, pooping great and sleeping soundly.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you

droogievesch

5 Year Member
RE: It's too late at night to think if a witty title

Reserchbeforecommitment said:
I have a question already guys.
Lotus ( RT), has a tiny soft spot on her shell right side almost exactly dead center. It is right in the middle, i.e halfway between the front and back, and half way between the top and bottom of her. I noticed actually a smell first, then on closer inspection a soft spot which, if I depress it, VERY gently of course, shows a tiny stream of bubbles. In hoofed animals this would indicate an abscess. Could this also be true of tortoises. I understand the difference between shells and hoofs, but the principle of infection is the same even under a fingernail. My concern is that this tortoise has lived its whole life in an arid tank condition, she is now in an outside enclosure in south Florida, she also has a very shallow puddle/pond that she loves to soak in and I am worried that the quick and dramatic change in humidity has cause this problem. So far I have cleaned the area with swabs and a very mild antiseptic/anti fungal hydrogen peroxide wash. She is currently eating in direct sunlight so is dried off completely. I must add that this tortoise is otherwise very active exploring everywhere, eating very well, pooping great and sleeping soundly.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you

I would post this question under the health section, I think it will get more views than as a comment on an introduction thread. I am not experienced enough to be able to help you out at all.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe a mod will move this for you. Yes, that is def something going on. Others more experienced will have advice as to how to take care of it. Might help to post a couple pics of the area.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Hey guys, yes pleased to say I continued with treatment and she is much improved! She is so cool, I know I keep telling everyone that but seriously I never knew how much fun she would be, she spent a week staring for hours at the grass under her feet before she took the plunge and bit it! I don't thinks she took a breather for the next hour! I have had to bring her into a smaller drier enclosure as between the rain and the dew it wasn't looking much like Russia! I think the drier substrate helped she still spends most of her time in the grass but her sleeping quarters at least are warm and dry. She eats like a horse and sleeps like Morpheus! My husband is completely won over also although he wants a man sized lawn mower variety! Lol she will be back in large enclosure once I have fixed teething problem with drainage!

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
View attachment 26769

Temporary digs whilst I resolve drainage problems! I managed to create a rain water catchment area with my enclosure fencing. The resulting lake resembled a mini tropical Baikal

Temporary digs whilst I resolve drainage problems! I managed to create a rain water catchment area with my enclosure fencing. The resulting lake resembled a mini tropical Baikal

staticmap

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md

Looking good! She is so cute :)

Status
Not open for further replies.