[split] Is vet visit necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortoise2012

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and i was wondering do you have to bring your tortoise to the vet? I dont have one yet, but I am just wondering if you have to bring it to the vet because i dont want to pay more money.

Thank you,
Russiantortoise2012:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, russiantortoise2012!

It is sometimes recommended to take your new tortoise to the vet for a well baby check, however it isn't imperative. However, it isn't cheap having a tortoise. I costs quite a bit to set them up the way they should be set up. And you can't choose when they are going to get sick or have an accident and a vet visit might be quite necessary.

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Welcome to the Forum, russiantortoise2012!
However, it isn't cheap having a tortoise. I costs quite a bit to set them up the way they should be set up..

I agree completely; thus far I have spent well over $300 (this month alone) just getting my hatchling CDT set up ('fecal float' at my local vet to check for parasites, a MVB, substrate, lamp stand, infrared < night > heat bulb, 2 bulb hoods, timer, enclosure, thermometers, 2 hides, water dish, food dish, water bottle for misting, hygrometer, calcium supplement, multivitamin supplement, and Mizuri tortoise food, plus 'extras' I have splurged on like a tortoise run and seed packets to plant my own tortoise friendly garden).
I didn't realize going into this how expensive this could get, but now that I have the lil' guy I have the responsibility to do the absolute best by him & make sure he receives the best possible care I can possibly give him. I'm not so sure that can be done (for me, in my current situation, at least) on a 'shoe-string' budget.

Welcome, BTW! This forum has been a tremendous help for me, and has helped clarify the confusing and often conflicting information that can be found all over the 'net.

Andrea
& Owen :tort:
in N. San Diego County

*Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.