[split] have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
do you know if you need to separate mature males from immature females to avoid mating??/ and the immature females ending up with their eggs bound?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: have a question

Hello and Welcome to both of you. Yes, males should be separated from the females, unless you have a two females or more to one male ratio. The males will try to mate and basically bully/constant trying to breed the female to possible illness or death. A too young/small female can become egg bound. It has happened before with a member.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Breeding

My male wont stop mounting my females do I need to separate them now and then to give them a break and also if my male
Wont stop biting the female what do I do?!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: Breeding

Permanent separation is for the best, the male won't ever stop,and injury can result from the biting.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
RE: have a question

I have a n immature female a definitely mature femAle and a mature male I'm trying to breed the mature ones but my male wont stop mounting my mature female. I don't want her to die or get sick. I'm separating them until I get home and then they get bAck together and I separate them at night. Is that the right thing to do??!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Tortoise breeding

Do you mean how often do they lay eggs?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Most female tortoise species are receptive to being bred once a year. I'm assuming this has to do with if she's ovulating or not. Some species will accept a male more than once a year. My Russian tortoises only lay eggs once a year, so I'm assuming they ovulate only once a year.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

I mean like my male tort is trying to mount my mature female 24/7 is it going to hurt her. Do I need to give her a break now and then. I don't want to separate them because I'm trying to breed them. And also if I have my immature female in with them and he maybe try's to mount her once a day is that ok?
Thank you

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA

He could hurt her. You don't really want to leave them together all of the time, because he is really harassing her. Them, I should say. Russians are notoriously unkind to one another.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Indoor or outdoor enclosures?

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

Out of two plastic baby pools one on the bottom and one on the top with half cut out for sunlight. I just need the tools. (That's what Christmas is for :)

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Breeding

I separated my female and male for the night and my male wont stop looking at the other cage
I'm trying to breed them so if I put them in a baby pool outside with half a baby pool on top will she have plenty of room and be able to keep them together? I don't want to make her sick from stress but I want some baby torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

The Russian female tortoise usually lays her eggs in the spring so that they have all summer's warm weather to incubate. I've never kept breeding pairs in the house, so I don't know how it works for them when there is no spring, summer, winter, etc.

I would not allow my male tortoise to continually harass the female. It is very stressful for her.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area

This is a situation where it is unproductive to keep them together. In my opinion Russians are a species that require lots of space. I would not put more than one in a space the size of a plastic kiddie pool. When females are overly familiar with the individual male they are housed with it can prohibit the goal of successful mating. Give them all a break from one another. For months even, if you want babies. Remember that a female can store the sperm for years before she feels the environment is suitable for laying. Generally they only lay once or maybe twice (in rare cases) a year. So it is a balancing act between healthy torts, successful unstressful mating and optimum environment to consistently produce hatchlings.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
[split] how long to have male with female

(Note from moderator: In order to not hi-jack WoofWolf's thread I've moved russiantortoiselover1's question to its own thread)

This doesn't help you but how long have you had a male with a female?did the male harass her every chance he got?
(I'm breeding mine just curious)

WoofWolf

5 Year Member
RE: Incubator Question: What To Put Eggs In?

russiantortoiselover1 said:
This doesn't help you but how long have you had a male with a female?did the male harass her every chance he got?
(I'm breeding mine just curious)

They've been together for about a year. And, yep: He harassed her fairly frequently. But she's soooo much bigger than he is... She simply ignored him much of the time, but if he nipped at her front feet enough sometimes she'd turn around. Picture of the pair is attached. The logistics are rather staggering.

Attachments

• hap coup.JPG
    hap coup.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
RE: Incubator Question: What To Put Eggs In?

I have like an 8in female and a male I'm trying to breed and ppl say to separate them. What did you do?keep them together all the time? Ppl say that's too stressful I'm so confused!!!
Can you tell me your conditions
Like outside or indoor enclosure? one male one female?
I wAnt some baby torts but ppl say I should separate them.
What should I do?
My female is definitely big enough to take care of herself but I don't want her to get sick from stress
I'm a newbie sorry I'm asking so much :0

Mine are about that size

Status
Not open for further replies.