[split] Box Turtle eggs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
One of my females layed eggs today should i dig them up and put them in my incubater or let nature handle it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It depends. Here in my area, if I leave eggs in the ground, red, stinging ants get to them. They actually dig a little hole in the shell and go inside and eat the inside. So I have to dig them up. Also, during skunk season (I know that sounds funny, but I only see skunks here at certain times of the year), I find little inverted pyramid-shaped holes dug all over in the box turtle pen, and they find any nests that I've missed, and eat the eggs.

So, its up to you and your situation whether you leave them in the ground or not.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm in So Cal and don't have the same issues as Yvonne. Sometimes I leave mine in the ground and sometimes I incubate them (just for the fun of it) and sometimes I find surprise hatchlings from a nest I never knew about!! That's always the most fun! Where are you located?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I prefer incubating eggs myself, eliminates the uncertainties of the natural elements and predators

Jeepchief66

5 Year Member
I live in florida i have several eggs now i put them in my incubater i also found a egg last night laid on the surface and i wasnt in time ants got a hold of it. I was thnking of turning my mini freezer into a big bater bc im running out of room in my styrofoam bater i made. i was wondering if anyone has turned a freezer in to a bater. i watched several youtube videos on DIY and all of them use heat tape if you use heat tape how do you get the humidity up. Anyone got advice

Status
Not open for further replies.