Spike Update

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi All,

Spike, Spicy, Catchy, (I have three small kids and they each gave our tortoise its own name) is one of @Jodie's babies from 2016. It is just over a year old and weighs 359 grams.

I am just checking to make sure all looks well and that we are on the right track?

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 37

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Growth looks as smooth as silk. Is @Jodie the Spokane lady?

From what I've read, that breeder follows the accepted norm/protocol of high humidity starts etc. As long as you follow the details, you should be good.

That's also a good weight if the age you stated is correct. Beautiful animal.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Growth looks as smooth as silk. Is @Jodie the Spokane lady?

From what I've read, that breeder follows the accepted norm/protocol of high humidity starts etc. As long as you follow the details, you should be good.

That's also a good weight if the age you stated is correct. Beautiful animal.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Jodie from Spokane Valley Tortoises, she is awesome. She has guided us through this new adventure. Our tortoise is housed in a closed chamber based off of @Tom's design.

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Yes, you are absolutely correct. Jodie from Spokane Valley Tortoises, she is awesome. She has guided us through this new adventure. Our tortoise is housed in a closed chamber based off of @Tom's design.

Thank you for the positive feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

If that's the case, then I think you are all dialed in. The hardest part is finding the routine that works for tort and keeper.

I too am using the enclosed method as prescribed by @Tom and others. His fundamental statement is hard to argue: "find the results you want to copy and follow that person's methods."

However, I will say both of my vets say they raise leopards and they both assured me there is zero clinical evidence or indication that humidity is the cause/major factor in pyramidal shell growth. They also didn't say it would hurt either (low temps are a different thing).

I don't have the experience of dry starts, so I didn't have a dog in the fight to argue/push the issue. So I drank the humidity kool-aid

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
However, I will say both of my vets say they raise leopards and they both assured me there is zero clinical evidence or indication that humidity is the cause/major factor in pyramidal shell growth. They also didn't say it would hurt either (low temps are a different thing).

I don't beg to differ, I DEMAND to differ.

There are thousands of pieces of evidence on this forum alone. I have about 30 living pieces of evidence in my collection.

Exhibit A:
IMG_2063.JPG

Exhibit B:
IMG_2324.JPG

Exhibit C:
IMG_2448.JPG

Exhibit D:
IMG_2296 copy.JPG

Etc...

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I don't beg to differ, I DEMAND to differ.

There are thousands of pieces of evidence on this forum alone. I have about 30 living pieces of evidence in my collection.

Exhibit A:
View attachment 213204

Exhibit B:
View attachment 213205

Exhibit C:
View attachment 213206

Exhibit D:
View attachment 213207

Etc...

I know. Proof is in the pudding.

I don't know why it's not yet accepted in the "scientific community". I'm sure with time and new journals/textbooks there will be change.

Exhibit D is beautiful by the way.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
No that's Tuck and Trey.

The sudans are exhibit B.

Gotcha, either Tuck or Trey the tort to the right in the picture, his carpace seems more highly domed than other Sulcata's that I have seen is the only reason I asked. Needless to say, beautiful specimens.