Spiders in Tortoises home...

So now it's time to freshen up the tortoises house so they can come outside and not hibernating anymore. But I keep finding alot of spiders and one in particular scared the crud out of me. It was red/pinkish and light clear white. It's web has a very distinctive smell and it's web is like a elastic plastic. I am concerned since my tortoises are only 2 years old , 3 years in September. Any advice or should I even be concerned? Please and thank you.

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
Kill the spiders. Just my phobia I guess. Probably not a lot of risk to your tortoises thou. Just don't use poison to kill the spiders.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
In Riverside you probably have brown widows. Again, no threat to the tortoises but it's ok to smash them when you see them. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please take a picture of one for us. I've never smelled a spider web before and now you have me real curious what kind of spider you have.

I have black widows in my tortoise sheds. I'm not worried about the spiders harming the tortoises, but I worry about ME if I accidentally walk through one of the occupied webs!! I take off my shoe and smash them whenever I see them.

Please take a picture of one for us. I've never smelled a spider web before and now you have me real curious what kind of spider you have.

I have black widows in my tortoise sheds. I'm not worried about the spiders harming the tortoises, but I worry about ME if I accidentally walk through one of the occupied webs!! I take off my shoe and smash them whenever I see them.
Haha I will try to take a picture if I see them again. Once I saw it it started moving so quickly so I hurried and tried to squish it I was terrified lol. Only weird thing is their web is like an elastic plastic band that you find under shirts to hang on a hanger. It was very strange.

Was it this spider? http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2013/10/woodlouse-hunter.html. They are fairly common in the area.

I don't usually mind spiders but this one gives me the wiggins!
See that's the spider that I was finding online when I was trying to look it up. I think it could be. It all happened so fast but once I saw it's colors I was scared and quickly stomped on it. Does this spiders web like a plastic looking?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Most don't pose any problems for Torts , if they get too annoying I just take my leaf blower and blow them out ! ;)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA