Sphagnum peatmoss ???

Sid420

So today I went to look for my tortoise typical bedding substrate I always get it ,
But they where out so u headed to homedepot my only other source ,there I found sphagnum peatmoss and it smells quite odd it says it's 100% Canadian sphagnum peatmoss. .. I mixed it with a bit of my outside dirt it's quite dusty but it smelled to weird and I was concerned .. i have already bought a big bag of the moss so it be a waste if I can not use It anyone plz help on this I'm not to sure if my tortoise is fine in it

I'm just afraid it will catch a infection

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
It's fine to use. You need to add water to it and mix it in or it will be fairly dusty

Kyle

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just bought some from HD a couple weeks ago. Mine was in white plastic and a big compact square. Very heavy too. I don't remember the name on it, but the only ingredient was sphagnum moss. It's dark brown and very fine like coconut coir. It is very dusty but works like coconut coir and much cheaper. As long as there is no other ingredients listed it should be fine.

Sid420

thank you so much , I was also wondering since some of the dirt got on his food is that bad ? I'm sure tortoise are clumsy but he does it all the time so should be worried ? And his water bowl as well