Special olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Good evening! This is a tad random, but I wanted to let those know that live in the Clovis, Ca area that there is a special Olympics tournament there. I currently coach for Stanislaus and my two teams will be playing in the tournament. I just thought I would send out an invite! It is a great time and it is very fun meeting these special people.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Wish I was closer. Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Huh, Clovis, now where have I heard that name before. :D

So you coach not just one, but two teams? How long have you been doing this?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Jacqui said:
Huh, Clovis, now where have I heard that name before. :D

So you coach not just one, but two teams? How long have you been doing this?

Well it's all one big team but I had to break them down into two because of skill levels. One team can play defense and play and pitch to another team while the other needs a coach to pitch.
I started coaching softball when I was 19 three years ago. But, this year is my first year being head coach (with my girlfriend as my lovely assistant). It is a total of 26 athletes with ages ranging from 9- late 50's with all levels of disability!
I also coach for track and field every year, which is also a great sport!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Well.....I'm a little far off to join you, unfortunately. :(

Best of luck! Track and field is awesome...well...to watch. I certainly would never have the energy or stamina to do it for more than...20 seconds. Always amazes me watching people do it, though.

Currently, I'm actually wearing a rubber bracelet I got at my local bank (TD Bank, think it's a New England thing.) for making a donation to the special olympics. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have some spare time, you and your team are invited over to take a look at some turtles and tortoises.

Good luck at the games. I hope you are able to bring home some medals.

(559 298-7114)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Nixxy said:
Well.....I'm a little far off to join you, unfortunately. :(

Best of luck! Track and field is awesome...well...to watch. I certainly would never have the energy or stamina to do it for more than...20 seconds. Always amazes me watching people do it, though.

Currently, I'm actually wearing a rubber bracelet I got at my local bank (TD Bank, think it's a New England thing.) for making a donation to the special olympics. :)

Track is a lot of fun. We get 50+ athletes out for that every year. I had zero experience with track before I coached. I can Just run fast and for a long period of time. Specifically, I teach the athletes to do the shot put.
Also, thank you a lot for donating. In my county, it is all volunteers and we are very limited on funds. But we get by and it's a great time.
Yvonne, it would be great to bring the athletes. But, if I drive them, I can't really go anywhere else but the tournament. My girlfriend and I would love to stop by though. That is, if it is okay with you? If not, no problem at all and thank you for the invite.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Of course its alright. With or without the athletes.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
This makes me very happy! It will be a great last weekend before I start my last semester of college. It will be done at approximately 2-230. When would you like for me to call you? On our way over?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you talking tomorrow? Yeah, you'd better call me when you're on your way over, as I'm pretty forgetful. Where is the event being held? Oh, nevermind...you can just do a mapquest for directions. On second thought, I guess you'd better call me for my address. ***hits self on forehead with flat of hand***

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Ha, I laughed during the message. To be specific, the event is August 18 (next Saturday, a week from today), starts at 11am. It will be over on that day in between 2-230. I will be calling you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like a first set up of victims, ummm I mean visitors, for socializing the puppy. :D

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I may have to bring my Wiener dog as my body guard. He's got a mean bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.