Source for T-Rex Active UV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
I've read several posts reccommending T-Rex Active UV bulbs as good heat/UVB source. Several times I've google searched for that bulb in a 100w size, and have found numerous retail sources, all listing them as out of stock. For now I've ordered the T-Rex standard 100w UV bulb, which I understand is not as powerful in the UV department. At least it's available. Does anyone know of a source for the T-Rex Active bulbs?
I'm just trying to do right by my little ones:)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow that is so weird. Usually, I buy mine at pets&ponds or Carolina pet supply, I checked and they do not sell them anymore? Weirddd! I hope they will be available soon!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
TortyQueen said:
I've read several posts reccommending T-Rex Active UV bulbs as good heat/UVB source. Several times I've google searched for that bulb in a 100w size, and have found numerous retail sources, all listing them as out of stock. For now I've ordered the T-Rex standard 100w UV bulb, which I understand is not as powerful in the UV department. At least it's available. Does anyone know of a source for the T-Rex Active bulbs?
I'm just trying to do right by my little ones:)

I googled them about a week ago an found they had a recall on bulbs marked with an J,K,L they let to much uvb out google T- rex bulb recall. I use a power sun 100 watt like it so far

M

Maggie Cummings

Trex had some sort of a problem and they stopped making UVB bulbs until whatever the problem could be fixed. No, I don't know what the problem is, I just know they have stopped making the bulbs for a while until they can fix the problem...

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Isa said:
The T-rex active bulb has UVB and UVA, the 2 in one :)

Eh thats confusing... based on the description...

Provides beneficial heat and UV for your animals.

* Benefits you and your reptile will realize immediately.
* Proven to increase appetite, activity, breeding, and color
* Restores and Maintains vitamin D3 levels.
* Self-ballasted mercury vapor Lamp

Both are mercury vapor and isn't the uvb for the vitamin d3 and such?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Mega Rays just started shipping again, apparently the same bulb as the T-Rex Active UV Heat.

The difference between the T-Rex Active UV Heat and the UV Heat is the Active one is higher UVB. Most sites won't tell you this, but I found the info here, and it explains the lower price: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...bulbs/-/t-rex-100-watt-standard-uv-heat-bulb/ I would suggest the higher output Active UV Heat (or a Mega Ray) for desert species like Russians, Sulcatas, etc.

I heard about the T-Rex recall a month or two ago and wasn't very happy about the lack of info (thankfully my bulb isn't on the recall list, but if I wasn't avid online I wouldn't have known about it). Mega Ray also had a time of non production due to some inconsistency issues per their website, but hopefully their production will be better now (many times they are out of stock for months at a time). These bulbs are tough to get, but the best!

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Darn it, I think I bought the uv heat thinking it was the active uv heat.... well I guess I'll use my powersun one for now until I can get another one. Mega Ray owes me one since it blew out after two months... but I'm glad they are finally stocking it. Whenever the active uv heat one becomes available I guess I'll get one of those as a backup.
Thanks for all the info!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks all. I do try to search before I ask, but thought maybe I was missing something. It sounds like the t-rex standard bulbs I ordered will work for now, as I'll run them all day in my cool-ish house anyway. It was almost warm enough here today for some sunning, so I took the little ones out on my protected porch with a hot water bottle and kept an eye on the thermometer the whole time we were out.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The T-Rex Active UV will just require your tort to bask more under it to get the same amount of UVB as a T-Rex Active UV Heat. I'm not sure if the Powersun would be any better or worse. They don't have test data out on the T-Rex UV Heat, nor the new Powersun nor the new T-Rex Active UV Heat as far as I know. I got a shipping notice for the Mega Rays I ordered a couple months back, but the website still shows on back order (but sometimes they don't update it right away). My guess is that they are still filling past orders so any orders made now will take awhile to fill.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
The Trex is now available to order at pets&ponds Woohoo :D! Popcorns light went off yesterday and it did not open this morning :(! SO I have to act quick to have a light, he is now under a 100w UVA. Do you guys thinks it is safe to buy a Trex or should I just ordered a powersun?

Grr! I just called at Pets & Ponds and they told me they were still not available even if we could order them on the internet. They told me their suppliers in the States still not have them :( I guess I will have to order the Zoomed Powersun.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You can't go wrong with Powersun...it takes out all the guesswork (and eliminates the need for multiple bulbs and tubes). I would also recommend a Ceramic Heat Emitter at night.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.