Soon To Be Sulcata Owner

Brett Lucksinger

I am new to this and trying to learn everything I can. I am in the process of setting up my outdoor enclosure for a 70lb male sulcata that I am adopting around the 1st of November. The enclosure will be 8,000 sq.ft. and I am trying to determine the best option for the night box. I have seen both sheds and boxes used and I am leaning towards building a box. I looked at Tom's thread (great detailed pictures) but I am not sure if 4'x8' is enough floor space for an adult sulcata. I like the insulated box design because it seem very efficient for maintaining heat. Any suggestions on the proper size box for an adult sulcata will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brett

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Alaskamike

South Florida
Are you so place with very cold winters where he will spend all his time in the box to stay warm ?

Makes a difference on size you might provide.

Here in South Florida we have 3 months when a heated hide is essential. But mainly at night. Many days it gets over 70 and full sun even if it drops below 40 at night.

I used for my 40 lb sully a dog house , insulated it and put in a CHE. Not as efficient as a oil space heater but works. Covered the door with a clear car floor mat. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444397672.727837.jpg

That box is 30" X 36". And provides plenty of room for him.

In colder climates people have used entire sheds , while it snows outside they are warm & toasty. Even then they often come out - tramp through the snow and go back in.

Brett Lucksinger

A 4x4' is plenty for one adult sulcata. Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

I housed five 35-80 pound sulcatas in one 4x8 with no issues at all. That box is identical to this one:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

This is the latest thread that might offer a little more insight:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/#post-1205002
This is great information, I really appreciate it. I think that I am going to "borrow" your 4'x8' design and put a sloped roof and shingles on top. I live west of Houston and we get plenty of rain. Fortunately, it does not get too cold and I think that it has only snowed twice in the past fifteen years. I was also considering building a "tortoise vestibule" off the front. I was considering making it 30" wide by 30" deep. This would allow me to put two sets of vinyl curtains in, one at the entry to the vestibule and one at the entry to the 4x8 box. It would seem that this would produce the same effects as a normal building vestibule. When the door is opened, you only loose conditioned air from the vestibule and not from the building. It just seems that if the tortoise is going in and out, or just sits in the doorway for a while, you would lose all of the "bought air". Let me know if you think this is over kill. Thank you!

Brett Lucksinger

Are you so place with very cold winters where he will spend all his time in the box to stay warm ?

Makes a difference on size you might provide.

Here in South Florida we have 3 months when a heated hide is essential. But mainly at night. Many days it gets over 70 and full sun even if it drops below 40 at night.

I used for my 40 lb sully a dog house , insulated it and put in a CHE. Not as efficient as a oil space heater but works. Covered the door with a clear car floor mat. View attachment 151637

That box is 30" X 36". And provides plenty of room for him.

In colder climates people have used entire sheds , while it snows outside they are warm & toasty. Even then they often come out - tramp through the snow and go back in.
Thank you for the information! I really like the one piece door flap. That seems like it would keep that air in much better than the multiple flaps hanging down. Thank you!

Brett Lucksinger

View attachment 151642
This heated box is 4x4 kept warm with an oil filled radiator heater. Out to make a lap around the heated house then right back in…
That is amazing! I can't believe that he is voluntarily out in the snow! I guess I shouldn't be so worried about my tortoise in Houston. We have never seen snow like that. Great picture, and thank you for the information!

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I am new to this and trying to learn everything I can. I am in the process of setting up my outdoor enclosure for a 70lb male sulcata that I am adopting around the 1st of November. The enclosure will be 8,000 sq.ft. and I am trying to determine the best option for the night box. I have seen both sheds and boxes used and I am leaning towards building a box. I looked at Tom's thread (great detailed pictures) but I am not sure if 4'x8' is enough floor space for an adult sulcata. I like the insulated box design because it seem very efficient for maintaining heat. Any suggestions on the proper size box for an adult sulcata will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brett

How exciting for you! The guys have given you some great info on different ways to go. Insulating it like crazy will also offer a cool retreat on our 100+ days we get during the summer (SETX here!) How old is your guy? Please post photos when he arrives, I cannot wait to see your set up!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Insulating it like crazy will also offer a cool retreat on our 100+ days we get during the summer (SETX here!) I cannot wait to see your set up!
I use on mine the ridged styrofoam foil backed insulation in mine. Foil faces towards the inside on mine. Not for any other reason than it seemed to make sense. More heat reflects in before it needs to be kept from getting out,(or in at your place). And as with the overall containment fence, inside I wasn't worried to much about the tortoises jumping around in there. I simply made a 16" tall barrier from the bottom 2" up that gave an overall height of 18" to keep them from tearing up the styrofoam, and it worked. Tortoises have a hankering to eat bright white things so I wanted to avoid that pitfall from the start and not give the option to them.
Stanley going out in the snow wasn't a very well thought out idea on his part. I'm thinking it was more a. " it's feeding time, I'm toasty warm, it's bright out, time to graze…holy mother of all things cold blooded, it FREEZING OUT HERE! Time to get back inside where it's toasty!"
Keep asking questions from what you read. Keep reading here on the Forum. And let me tell you from me to you personally, " I'm so very glad, on many levels, that you Brett are here."

Brett Lucksinger

How exciting for you! The guys have given you some great info on different ways to go. Insulating it like crazy will also offer a cool retreat on our 100+ days we get during the summer (SETX here!) How old is your guy? Please post photos when he arrives, I cannot wait to see your set up!
I am very excited about the upcoming adoption and I am happy to hear from someone in my area. He is 13 years old and appears to be in great condition. He has almost no pyramiding. Does 70 lbs sound right for a 13 year old male sulcata? I have looked for adult growth charts, but have not been able to find anything. I will post pictures as soon as we get him home.

Brett Lucksinger

I use on mine the ridged styrofoam foil backed insulation in mine. Foil faces towards the inside on mine. Not for any other reason than it seemed to make sense. More heat reflects in before it needs to be kept from getting out,(or in at your place). And as with the overall containment fence, inside I wasn't worried to much about the tortoises jumping around in there. I simply made a 16" tall barrier from the bottom 2" up that gave an overall height of 18" to keep them from tearing up the styrofoam, and it worked. Tortoises have a hankering to eat bright white things so I wanted to avoid that pitfall from the start and not give the option to them.
Stanley going out in the snow wasn't a very well thought out idea on his part. I'm thinking it was more a. " it's feeding time, I'm toasty warm, it's bright out, time to graze…holy mother of all things cold blooded, it FREEZING OUT HERE! Time to get back inside where it's toasty!"
Keep asking questions from what you read. Keep reading here on the Forum. And let me tell you from me to you personally, " I'm so very glad, on many levels, that you Brett are here."
Ken, thank you for the very kind welcome. I am learning more and more everyday and I will definitely continue to ask questions. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am very excited about the upcoming adoption and I am happy to hear from someone in my area. He is 13 years old and appears to be in great condition. He has almost no pyramiding. Does 70 lbs sound right for a 13 year old male sulcata? I have looked for adult growth charts, but have not been able to find anything. I will post pictures as soon as we get him home.
They all grow at different rates depending on many factors. 70 is fine. Some are bigger by that age and some are smaller. Get him well hydrated, eating good foods, and keep him warm night and day, and you should have many happy decades together.