Soon To Be New Redfoot Owner

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
Hi all,
My name is Jennifer and I live in Moultrie, GA (about an hour north of Florida). I have wanted a tortoise for years and am finally in a position to provide everything needed. So later this week I will be starting an outdoor enclosure. This is my plan so far:
*Building an enclosure with cinder blocks
*Enclosure will be L shaped and size will be equivalent of 16x16
*Heated and insulated dog house for cooler nights and a big container in case I need to bring her inside
*When it's time I plan to get one female RF that's at least 6 inches so she can go straight outside

I am always open to thoughts, suggestions, and advice.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Hi and welcome!
I also have a redfoot, they are very nice and beautiful torts!
Instead of a dog house I would look into Tom's insulated and heated night boxes. They are relatively easy to make and work very well. Do a search on the forum and you'll find detailed building instructions.

Good luck and post some pics if you're enclosure is ready!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Jennifer, congratulations on your species choice! RFs rock! That what I keep and love them sooo much! Warm welcome from Texas! Post pics whenever you can, and enjoy your time on this forum and mostly, your new hobby and Shelled Friend

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I second the recommendation on Tom's night box design.

Dog houses work, but over the life of the tortoise a proper night box should pay for itself a 1000x over in cost efficiency and overall effectiveness.