Soon to be 1st time tortoise owner

JohnBaker

Hi everyone,
I have spent the last few weeks reading, watching documentaries and youtube videos debating my new tortoise. I am hoping to get someone that is both a dry climate lover (humidity maintenance seems hard), a non-hibernating species (because I am NOT going to do that...) and a fairly small fella or lady (must be 100% indoors in an apartment). So far I am focused on the Indian Star but would love some input.

I do have a few questions I would love some input on. If I go the Indian Star route, how would a Exo-Terra Natural Terrarium (36x18x18) go for a home? Also what size and type of lamps are recommended for both UV light and day night heat? Finally, is there any other special considerations you would recommend to a new owner in terms of housing, diet and especially, where to buy a healthy captive raised little Indian Star?

Look forward to your input and advice, thanks!

--

John

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi John
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1498089864.247885.jpg
No tort has to be hibernated it don't make them live longer most hibernate cause of no or food shortages in the wild !

JohnBaker

Hiya Grandpa Turtle,
Thanks so much for the info. Based on that, is there a better choice for what I describe? I want to set up the perfect home before I get him or her :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I'm sorry to say you looked in all the wrong places to find your info. There is no tort that doesn't need humidity. Some more then others, some higher when young, then as an adult. So, do more research in the care section of this forum. Here is where you will find the correct info

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
If you don't want to worry about humidity then you'll need an adult. Where are you located? That's one of the questions for some reason new members aren't filling in. It's actually necessary to know where about you are from, for instance, i'm in Florida. I didn't need to put Port Charlotte but I did. The reason it's necessary is so that every question you post people don't have to ask you where you're from. Our answers are dependent on where you live. Florida's a high humidity high heat year-round type situation so I for instance can put my tortoises outside yesr round but I would not recommend that for somebody in Ohio unless they have a very specific setup. Your lighting question for instance.... You wouldn't need necessarily UVB lighting if you're in Florida because you would be able to get your tortoises outside a half an hour to two hours every week... That's all the UVB they need. My recommendation is not to get babies because they have high humidity requirements. If I had known that I wouldn't have gotten my babies(I lived in Ohio when I got them). I would have found some that were full grown. If you look here on the for sale threads you'll be able to find all different aged and type of tortoises for sale. Any tortoise that you get is probably going to require a bigger enclosure than what you are thinking of. We recommend 4x8 or at least 4 x 6... A lot of people get bookcases or chest of drawers and put them on their back. just take out the innards and line them with a plastic shower curtain.

JohnBaker

Hi there,
Thanks for the info. I'm in south east Michigan. Damn cold winters and generally dry summers. Whatever I do it will be indoors 100% I need a retail option though because I have no space to build anything. Bookcase idea is a good one, thanks for that.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
I started with a small size bookshelf myself with plexiglass and wire screen top since i didnt have a way to hang lamps yet. Now i am working on one from a similar item like what teresaf mentioned, but i opted for an elevated garden bed box, the biggest i could find. Then from there i built up the sides and top to where i have somewhere to fix the lamps on the inside. Then i just need to fix the front window/door and line it and it'll be ready. It doesnt take up a lot of space really and its got its own legs so thats cool. Mines a hatchling so this should be good for awhile. So theres an idea anyway :)

Attachments

• 1498099893976.jpg
    1498099893976.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 7

JohnBaker

That's great! I recently moved from a house to a small apartment. No tools, no work area at all. I was looking at a bunch of those raised boxes just after teresaf posted. As you mention depth is the problem. Sadly I can't modify my own :(

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
That's great! I recently moved from a house to a small apartment. No tools, no work area at all. I was looking at a bunch of those raised boxes just after teresaf posted. As you mention depth is the problem. Sadly I can't modify my own :(
I think amazon.com sells 4x4 greenhouses that can be mounted on top of the 4x4 garden box...? You'd have to look...