Someone HELP!!! (eye is shut)

izel_

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angels
I left very early in the morning today and when i got home late I checked on my Ixta and found her upside down and noticed one of her eyes was strange. Please help!! I don't know if a bug might have bit or done something to her.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434250861.900219.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should try to flush it with sterile saline solution. It doesn't look infected or irritated, just like maybe something is in it...a piece of substrate maybe.

izel_

Los Angels
Thank you! I just put her to soak in warm water and I'll go buy the solution asap. It doesn't look infected though? She has me worried.

izel_

Los Angels
Do you think terramycin ointment will also work or is that only for infection?

izel_

Los Angels
Are you using coil bulbs? Soak him n see if that helps. Any other symptoms? Tell us about your set up.

She has an Zoo Med day light bulb and her home is filled with Zoo Med coconut fiber
She is never directly under the lightbulb i always have something between so it won't hit her directly. Today i found her flipped over and he eye was like that.
She has no other symptoms.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Maybe she scratched her eye or got debris in it when she was struggling to turn herself back over. I agree with Yvonne, flush her eye with sterile saline to help to remove any debris. Also some terramycin eye ointment or other eye ointment would be soothing to her eye if it is scratched and irritated.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Mine shuts his eye like that when he gets substrate in it. I flush spuds eye with fresh water, don't forget to clean the legs too as he/she could rub his/her eye and get more substrate in it :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
From what I can see, the lighting needs to be sorted for your tortoise. That bulb is not suitable as it only provides UVA and no UVB.

You should buy an MVB lamp for basking that provides the full spectrum he/she needs for good health.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How is his eye this morning? Did you give him a nice long soak? Does he get outside much? He needs UVB unfiltered. Read the care guides and ask any questions you have. I am not familiar with the different kinds of lights. If you have any type of coil, CFL, turn it off.
If he is not better this morning start baby food soaks. Use a jar of carrots and a jar of warm water. Soak for 20 minutes in a small, deep container.
Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Her eye isn't shut in the picture. It's very much open

Actually, yes it is shut. That's the eyelid you're seeing over the eye ball. Flush the area with sterile saline solution and gently rub it with a Q-tip, then flush again.