Some RF heat/ light questions

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
I have read many care sheets not on the TFO that indicate redfoot tortoises need a basking site around 90 or 95 depending on the care sheet. And a cool side of 80f.
I have also read that redfoots don't like it excessively hot and bright, and temps around 80-86 are better.
Further yet i have also read that temperature gradients are less important with the red foot species in particular, and some people keep the whole enclosure at a constant temperature.
I was wondering if there was a consensus out there about which of these methods most people use especially for young redfoots.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
You're right, some use more of a gradient and some use an all around temp. In my enclosure the coolest spot in the enclosure is about 76 degrees. The rest of the enclosure is in the 80s with a hot spot in the low 90s. I try to pay attention to what temp he likes to be at using a temp gun. He seems to like to keep his body temp between 80 and 84. Mine is a young adult, btw.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I opt for an ambient temperature throughout of 80/86f. With no basking spot. My reason for no basking spot is not for the debate of whether they naturally bask or not, it's because a hot incadesent bulb dries out the Carapace and contributes to pyramiding and even scute deformaty/damage in extreme cases.
My adults have been seen sitting in the sun for ten minutes or so soaking up the sun(remember I'm in UK and sun rays are not as hot as some parts of the world). My babies just wanna hide apart from feeding time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No hot basking spot here, either.
In an indoor RF enclosure, I'd aim for 82-85. Night low down to 76-77. Humidity 75% plus.
Outdoors, my RF will not emerge in higher temps. They will stay in the shade until later in the day when it cools down.
I only see them bask when it is very cool outside.