Some questions...

rafael lopez

hello

1.- im planning to build a 4 x 2 x 2 ft closed chamber for a baby sulcata and i want to know what kind of uvb ligth should i use for that size

2.- would take it out to bask a couple hours a day in the sun (whit supervicion) be enough? so i just let the chamber heated with no uvb, where i live realy most of the year is very sunny but im not so sure if those couple hours are enough or if its better to have both options artificial ubv in the encosure and regular basking of natural uvb exposure

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
If you can take the tortoise out every day in sunlight then you will never need a UV bulb.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Not if they have real sunlight.
Figures are not exact but a few hours a week is sufficient.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
A couple of hours a day just a couple of days a week is enough UVB exposure. You will need a basking spot at about 100f where it can bask and raise its skin temperature at least a few hours a day that can be a plain incandescent flood bulb from the hardware store. D3 also has a longer life in the tortoises body and even a few weeks of no sun if rainy/ cloudy will not do any harm if the exposure otherwise has been pretty consistent. So with a good climate where outdoor time is the norm - no artificial uvb is needed. But that is just addressing the need to manufacture D3.

Light is very important. I would provide a good full spectrum bright light in the enclosure to visually simulate daylight as much as possible. A twin T5 fluorescent with a 4500k and 6500k tube would be great. Try to get tubes with a CRI rating as close to 90 or above that you can.

I also would encourage you to bigger with your enclosure. A 2x4 footprint will be outgrown by a healthy sulcata before the year is out. I would go at least 3x6 with your climate your tortoise could then be outside full time in 18 months or so when it reaches about 8-10". A nice outdoor enclosure with heated night box and your tortoise will be set!

rafael lopez

the fluorescent light has to have uvb like a zoomed reptisun t5, or can it be a normal fluorescent linear tube? is there another way to provide full spectrum light?
and can you recommend me one in amazon or any website that ships to Mexico?