Some of the aquatics

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Been about 15-16 years since I've kept aquatics. I sure am enjoying working with them again.

Large Mata Mata make I picked up. 16"SCL carapace. Nice old male. As soon I locate some females I'll upgrade them to a 1000 gallon. He's in a 350 now.
image.jpeg

Some unifilis(Amazon river terrapins) love these guys. Super friendly and outgoing, picked up 3.3 unrelated line. Working on a larger pair. These are listed CITES 1 federally endangered. Hoping to get some offspring reintroduced in the future for this species.
image.jpeg

Some more endangered turtles. Japanese pond turtles. Nice little group and some F1 animals growing up for further lines. They're hilarious. The females like to burrow in the mulch portion.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Pretty cool Kelly! Try some of the African turtles!

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
yeah for sure. We got a big import of them i think over 100 pairs or something like that. i bought a trio maybe you saw the threat. I never see them year. I don´t know anybodywho keeps them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
yeah for sure. We got a big import of them i think over 100 pairs or something like that. i bought a trio maybe you saw the threat. I never see them year. I don´t know anybodywho keeps them.
A few small quantities came in months back. I ended up getting the reeves though. But I'll hope to get some. I like them.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've never kept aquatics because I've never wanted to deal with water. But I've always wanted the muds and musks.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
why is reeves turtle more endangered? they've been produced in millions at asian turtle farms (although pretty much extinct in the wild in china)
Not sure. They're listed endangered. I'd say out of these the unifilis is much more endangered. But I love all turtles/tortoises anyways so they're all equal to me.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
A few small quantities came in months back. I ended up getting the reeves though. But I'll hope to get some. I like them.

Yes they import in the U.S too. I know that they export C. aubriy. But they get many interesting softshells. C. elegans or P. bibroni!

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I think there came three pairs one of them goes to a zoo in Costa Rica and maybe one of the U.S but I'm not sure. The last one I don't know.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Great stuff Kelly. I too find the reevesi to be hilarious animals! A very, very underrated turtle for sure.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Reeve's are surely more rare in the wild than unifilis. The non-native species on the ESA were put their in its inception, and many of those species make no sense. There are so many species whom are more rare than species like unifilis, Pangshura tecta, and Geoclemys hamiltonii. And I am talking about in the wild, not in captivity. Doesn't make any sense at all. At least CBW permits for non-natives are easy to get.

Cool to see you over here talking aquatics, Kelly. I just got a group of japonica, too. I am working with nigricans, annamensis and japonica in that genus now. Really grateful to have that opportunity :)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Reeve's are surely more rare in the wild than unifilis. The non-native species on the ESA were put their in its inception, and many of those species make no sense. There are so many species whom are more rare than species like unifilis, Pangshura tecta, and Geoclemys hamiltonii. And I am talking about in the wild, not in captivity. Doesn't make any sense at all. At least CBW permits for non-natives are easy to get.

Cool to see you over here talking aquatics, Kelly. I just got a group of japonica, too. I am working with nigricans, annamensis and japonica in that genus now. Really grateful to have that opportunity :)

Yes Anthony you're right! I think the problematic is that much species which are not protected in the wild are taken from the wild in big quantities and get sell to low conditions. That's why reeves for example are so rare in the wild.
So the solution is to protect more Asian species which look like "non-rare" species to protect and to reduce the export quotas.
The species you've listed like tecta etc are species which are protected for a longer time and because of that they populations become more and more but there is the problem that the captivity background populations become difficult because we don't get new blood.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mata matas are some of my favorites. I agree the reevee is very underrated I have owned a pair for 26 years now.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Yes Anthony you're right! I think the problematic is that much species which are not protected in the wild are taken from the wild in big quantities and get sell to low conditions. That's why reeves for example are so rare in the wild.
So the solution is to protect more Asian species which look like "non-rare" species to protect and to reduce the export quotas.
The species you've listed like tecta etc are species which are protected for a longer time and because of that they populations become more and more but there is the problem that the captivity background populations become difficult because we don't get new blood.
export to europe and north america is not that big threat to asian species. The No.1 threat is pollution and habitat loss, No.2 is asian market demand
thats why pretty much all genus of Mauremys and cuora are extinct in the wild but mass produced in farms.
pay a visit to Hong kong pet markets, you'll find hatchiling Pelodiscus sinensis sold as live Arowana food, baby reeves are sold around $2 each while baby cuora trifasciata can fetch $2000-$5000 each

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
export to europe and north america is not that big threat to asian species. The No.1 threat is pollution and habitat loss, No.2 is asian market demand
thats why pretty much all genus of Mauremys and cuora are extinct in the wild but mass produced in farms.
pay a visit to Hong kong pet markets, you'll find hatchiling Pelodiscus sinensis sold as live Arowana food, baby reeves are sold around $2 each while baby cuora trifasciata can fetch $2000-$5000 each
$2 each? My next vacation going to Hong Kong with several empty suitcases!
:)

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe

Yes for sure. Destroying the habitats is for every species in the world the most dangerous thing. And the Asian market is special and because of that also a big problem. But export is a problem too.. Not the legal export most of the time. Cuora for example ( auro,pani, zhoui) have so small to zero wild population first because of the Asian demand for sure. But if they find any alive wild animal for example aurocapitata they will do everything to export it because the prices here are much higher than in Asia.
So finally Asia destroy their nature by themselves but the high demand and high prices which we pay in Europe/America are also a "part of the cake" why the wild population become more and more smaller.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Mata matas are some of my favorites. I agree the reevee is very underrated I have owned a pair for 26 years now.

Wow! That's awesome.
I raised two females from tiny neonates years ago and they are still in my short list of most 'fun' turtles to keep.