Some concerns i have with Raph

TriterTortoise

Thats his name, but anyways...

He is not even a year old yet just to inform you.
So the top of his head feels odd. One part feels like i can chip the scale off. I dont know how to explain it any other way.

Also, he made a few odd squeking noises last night, but only about 2 or 3 times. Are these things normal?

Finally, is his shell in good health?

Attachments

• 0418171732.jpg
    0418171732.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 26

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi

More pictures of your tort will help.

The shell looks fine, but pictures of the whole tort and of its head will help us to help you.

Squeaking can be indicative of respiratory problems. Or it can be a male getting excited. What temperatures do you have in the enclosure?

Photos of the enclosure and lighting will also help us

TriterTortoise

Here is another pic of his shell. Also, he is now eating out of my hand. But he is constantly banging his head on the glass. He has been doing it for about 5 mins

Attachments

• 0418171757.jpg
    0418171757.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 24

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Are you sure he's not even a year old? :eek:
He looks like an adult, definitely way too big to live in a glass tank, no wonder that he's trying to escape. Please at least cover the glass walls so can't see through them before he might hurt himself.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
At 5 inches, your tort is definitely considerably more than a year old. Pet stores will say anything, but they sell wild caught sub adults not babies in the US.

I agree this tort is near full size, likely to be 10 years old (anyone's guess as you can't tell age exactly ) and needs far more floor area than can possibly be provided in a glass tank.

Russians are very active and you should be aiming to provide 4'x8' minimum ... ideally outdoors if the weather permits.

An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner makes a great tortoise table.

TriterTortoise

I have a giant bookcase that I can use. Thanks, it sounds like a great idea! Also, are you sure he is about 10 years old? I don't know how they would have mixed up a year old and 10 years old, or they just lied to get me to buy him.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You cannot tell the age of a tortoise unless you know the hatch date. They all grow at different rates depending on diet and environment.

Wild caught pet store torts are usually at the slower growing end of the scale and 5" is getting on for full grown. This tort could be 5 years if its had a good time and it could be 20-25 years or more if its had hard times. Ten is a pure guess.

Pet stores are notorious for saying what they think the customer wants to hear. They have no idea either, but if 1 year old makes a sale then they'll say it :(