Some basic questions about keeping Aldabra Tortoises.

Josh Silver

I'm moving to a large acreage in Florida, with zero extra indoor space. I wanted to get an aldabra as a completely outdoor pet.

What do I do in the winter?

Will a large shed work to keep it out of the rain?

Will it challenge fencing when it's bigger? If so, what do I do to prevent escape?

Thanks.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Here's a good link to go through. Anything from @ALDABRAMAN, is up to date information. He's a great breeder that keeps his on a large plot of land. Within the last year, he made some new amazing outdoor areas.

Do you have experience with tortoises? Large species? Do plan on getting it as a baby? Rescue? Have fun and read away!

Josh Silver

Here's a good link to go through. Anything from @ALDABRAMAN, is up to date information. He's a great breeder that keeps his on a large plot of land. Within the last year, he made some new amazing outdoor areas.

Do you have experience with tortoises? Large species? Do plan on getting it as a baby? Rescue? Have fun and read away!

Well I've never owned a tortoise, but I do have experience with smaller exotic pets.

I was thinking I would get a baby and I could learn how to take care of its size faster than it can grow.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the :tort: forum! I'm sure you'll get the help as well as the advice you need from the experts here. :)

Good luck.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Josh,
I live in South FLorida, Gulf Side. Have a 17 mo old Aldabra. The thread for him is under "New Baby" You can see there some things I've done to raise one in Florida. It could give you some ideas on what it might take.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
~ This is one of the largest and strongest species of tortoise on earth. They are very friendly and gentle, however are extremely strong and males can reach well over 500 pounds!

View attachment 129609
A lovely and 'friendly' pic, but doesn't it scare you? Personally I wouldn't pose for such a photo for millions of dollars! 'Suppose it kicked/harmed/hurt me?' I would think.

Sorry for what came above; I did NOT mean to worry you-I was just thinking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALDABRAMAN has done it the longest I do believe at least on this forum. Raises and sells them from hatchling to a few years and sells them. You live in the same state. If you want to do it right, I would do as he does.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
ALDABRAMAN has done it the longest I do believe at least on this forum. Raises and sells them from hatchling to a few years and sells them. You live in the same state. If you want to do it right, I would do as he does.
Even so, you never know what goes on in the human brain, let alone an animal :rolleyes:

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I think it was a light joke. . Aldabra is try a gentle giant. Its awsome to watch them grow from a small shy little tort to a large compassionate friend in just a few years..

1431533058440.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I think it was a light joke. . Aldabra is try a gentle giant. Its awsome to watch them grow from a small shy little tort to a large compassionate friend in just a few years..
Do these enormous torts give and take with human beings? Or are they like the small one which only.....run for food? (Even so, I LOVE my Greek tort).

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
My little lady is only 4years old, and she already comes to me when I enter her pen. I can lay down and she will let me scratch her neck for hours if I wanted to. These torts seem to be highly intelligent, and it seems like she has a bond with me. Her name use to be daisy, but she has adopted the name lady A from my wife because I spoil her. She shows more trust towards me than she does my wife for some reason. .