Soil question

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello I'm new here but have been stalking for months! I have 2 desert tortoises who are a little over a year old. I've been keeping them in a glass tank though I've read that's not ideal and just bought a dresser after realizing I'm not a builder and have no tools, to make a bigger space for them. SUBSTRATE?! I've read so much and am very confused. My mom raised a gaggle of tortoises all from the parents of these 2 and always just put them in tanks, heating pads but no lights and only newspaper. I've been usuing coconut husk on carpet squares. Some say that's bad, some good. I know these are desert tortoises and perhaps I'm reading about other species I'm just not sure. I bought bags of Garden Soil, the only kind that looked to have nothing added, from orchard supply. I read "top soil" is what I need, but they didn't have that. Is top soil different than garden soil? There are tiny white rocks and sticks in it and I know they will try to eat those or anything actually. They prefer my shoe to endive at times. Is it ok for them to eat this? It's not that crumbly bad white stuff, perlite? But tiny rocks.
Moisture- ?? Some say keep it moist, some say keep it dry. Some say mix with play sand, some say noooo play sand! How do I clean it? Scoop out poop? What about the pee? Does it start smelling? I have to figure out a way to clamp their lights overhead.
My gardener built an out door box with a lid as well but it's been sitting there for months because I don't know what to fill it with. They are cramped in their tank with their makeshift cars board hut and ramp I modeled after a table I saw online. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you !
Tanya

Attachments

• IMG_3733.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG
    991.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 15

Carson

Definitely never ever keep the substrate dry!!!!!that is 100% no! Many tortoises become dehydrated very easily, which can cause diseases. For a dessert tortoise I would suggest coconut hush and topsoil mixed and with Pete moss on top to keep the moister in. If you do at sand then add just a pinch. If you do not feel comfortable with adding sand then please don't, because your tortoise could become seriously ill. For the cleanup part, I would suggest scooping up the waste regularly and then cleaning all of the substrate every 1-2 months. Whatever you do do not put your tortoise in a glass tank, it will send your tortoises stress levels through the roof. If you have no experience wth carpentry then I would suggest buying the zoomed tortoise box. Tortoises need lighting, if they do not have lighting then they will most likely hibernate, if the conditions get below 65-55 degrees during hibernation then it can cause serious brain problems and your tortoise may become blind. Also, what kind of tortoise do you have? I can give you a care sheet.

Carson

Hello I'm new here but have been stalking for months! I have 2 desert tortoises who are a little over a year old. I've been keeping them in a glass tank though I've read that's not ideal and just bought a dresser after realizing I'm not a builder and have no tools, to make a bigger space for them. SUBSTRATE?! I've read so much and am very confused. My mom raised a gaggle of tortoises all from the parents of these 2 and always just put them in tanks, heating pads but no lights and only newspaper. I've been usuing coconut husk on carpet squares. Some say that's bad, some good. I know these are desert tortoises and perhaps I'm reading about other species I'm just not sure. I bought bags of Garden Soil, the only kind that looked to have nothing added, from orchard supply. I read "top soil" is what I need, but they didn't have that. Is top soil different than garden soil? There are tiny white rocks and sticks in it and I know they will try to eat those or anything actually. They prefer my shoe to endive at times. Is it ok for them to eat this? It's not that crumbly bad white stuff, perlite? But tiny rocks.
Moisture- ?? Some say keep it moist, some say keep it dry. Some say mix with play sand, some say noooo play sand! How do I clean it? Scoop out poop? What about the pee? Does it start smelling? I have to figure out a way to clamp their lights overhead.
My gardener built an out door box with a lid as well but it's been sitting there for months because I don't know what to fill it with. They are cramped in their tank with their makeshift cars board hut and ramp I modeled after a table I saw online. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you !
Tanya

Also, I know you did not mention the pyramiding of the shell (if you do not know what pyramiding means then please look it up ASAP). I would suggest changing your tortoises diet (the lettuce), if that is store bought lettuce, is it organic? Because if it is not organic that can poison the poor guy. Also, do not use calcium powder every day if you already are. If you are then only use it once a week on his food. Most tortoise fanatics would suggest using cuttlebone (another source of calcium), because it is something that the tortoise can chew on whenever he wants.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Definitely never ever keep the substrate dry!!!!!that is 100% no! Many tortoises become dehydrated very easily, which can cause diseases. For a dessert tortoise I would suggest coconut hush and topsoil mixed and with Pete moss on top to keep the moister in. If you do at sand then add just a pinch. If you do not feel comfortable with adding sand then please don't, because your tortoise could become seriously ill. For the cleanup part, I would suggest scooping up the waste regularly and then cleaning all of the substrate every 1-2 months. Whatever you do do not put your tortoise in a glass tank, it will send your tortoises stress levels through the roof. If you have no experience wth carpentry then I would suggest buying the zoomed tortoise box. Tortoises need lighting, if they do not have lighting then they will most likely hibernate, if the conditions get below 65-55 degrees during hibernation then it can cause serious brain problems and your tortoise may become blind. Also, what kind of tortoise do you have? I can give you a care sheet.
Several things you've said here are just not true.

To the original poster check out the caresheets and please don't get confused with the above posts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with glass tanks, but most tanks aren't big enough for anything but small hatchling torts.

Sand is a no go, it's not recommended at all

You do not need to change the substrate every 1-2 months it can last for a year or better. Just spot clean when needed.

Zoomed tortoise box is also to small for anything larger than a hatchling and definitely not pairs

Last edited by a moderator:

Carson

Several things you've said here are just not true.

To the original poster check out the caresheets and please don't get confused with the above posts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with glass tanks, but most tanks aren't big enough for anything but small hatchling torts.

Sand is a no go, it's not recommended at all

You do not need to change the substrate every 1-2 months it can last for a year or better. Just spot clean when needed.

Zoomed tortoise box is also to small for anything larger than a hatchling and shouldn't be keep in pairs.

Such as

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Hi thank you for the reply. When you say "top soil" can it be any soil? The most organic soil I found at Orchard Supply was called Garden Soil and says it contains Biochar .. I'm not sure what that is even after researching. I'm moving them to a wooden bookcase I sealed with a pond plastic sheet, the Zoo med one I have and it's too small. I give them store bought lettuces, dandelion leaves and a grass mix I grow but am aware of the lettuce issue, it's organic but I plan to grow some flowers that are safe when I transfer them. I give them calcium once a week and time outside when I can..It's the soil now that I'm worrying about.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Well yeah the Zoomed wouldn't be good for 2 but it is mudular. Also, what makes you think glass tanks are good?
I've used them, for many many years and so have most of the experienced members on this site. How many torts have you raised and what's you experienced?

Last edited by a moderator:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi thank you for the reply. When you say "top soil" can it be any soil? The most organic soil I found at Orchard Supply was called Garden Soil and says it contains Biochar .. I'm not sure what that is even after researching. I'm moving them to a wooden bookcase I sealed with a pond plastic sheet, the Zoo med one I have and it's too small. I give them store bought lettuces, dandelion leaves and a grass mix I grow but am aware of the lettuce issue, it's organic but I plan to grow some flowers that are safe when I transfer them. I give them calcium once a week and time outside when I can..It's the soil now that I'm worrying about.
I will tag a few that can tell you what they recommend that also keep desert torts

@Yvonne G @Tom

Carson

I've used them, for many many years and so have most of the experienced members on this site. What is you tort experience?

I have read many many accredited sources that state that glass tanks are not healthy for your tortoises stress. I do not want to cause any conflict, so I completely respect what you are saying.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
If I could know the specific species then I could probably give better information so I could be wrong.
The very first post tells what species, what type torts do you have and how long have you been raising them? It's only fair for someone that your giving advice to know.

Carson

So far you are doing great with the tortoises diet and I just saw the tortoises environment and it looks great. The place you checked might have not had TOP soil. On the package it should just say TOP SOIL and that is it. Also, if you could tell me the type of tortoise specifically then I could give you more information on the substrate. I also was not aware that you had 2 tortoises, which you are right the zoomed would be to small for two tortoises.

Carson

Tanya

Sorry, I also did not see that it was a desert tortoise. I misunderstood and thought you were saying that it falls in the desert category. I apologize

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
If I could know the specific species then I could probably give better information so I could be wrong.
They are desert tortoises, I'm not sure what species but I live in California.. here is a photo-

Attachments

• IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1732.JPG
    IMG_1732.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Carson

Tanya
You are doing great and I am glad to see that you are eager to get these torts in a great environment!!