Soft shell

Rick kennedy

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a question. I bought a captive red footed tortoise from the local pet store in my area about a month ago. I picked her up today and noticed the bottom of her shell was soft. She looked healthy when I first got her but then a week after her eye was tearing up. So I thought she was dehydrated and I started to give her 15 minute soaks every other day. I also was misting the substrate, maybe to much. I was wondering if the substrate being so moist could be the problem? The basking area is about 93 degrees and cool side of the aquarium is mid 70s, I also have a uvb bulb. Her appetite is very good now, Roman lettuce, mustard green kale and calcium powder every other day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
a soft shell on a young tortoise is not unusual. you have to worry when the shell starts getting softer than what it was. do you know if the shell was soft when you got the tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You didn't say how old/big this tortoise is. Like David said, babies have a bit of a soft plastron, but larger tortoises should not be soft. Also, depending upon how old the tortoise is, a baby should be soaked daily, while an older tortoise can get by with fewer soaks.

For redfooted tortoises, you can go with an overall temperature of 80F. They don't need a hot side and a cool side. And there should be relief from the hot lights in the way of plants, either real or fake.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Usually only a small pinch of calcium a few times a week is recommended, one of the more experienced keepers can advise on if more is needed with your tort.

Rick kennedy

She is about 4 months old. There is plenty of artificial plants to get away from the heat of the lights

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Then a little 'give' to the plastron is ok. It will harden up in time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
calcium and suns will harden it up quickly