soft shell: sign of MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
Carl, my Hermann's tortoise hatchling, is of a normal weight and length for a 3 month old tortoise (28 grams, 2 inches), and has been very active. He eats well, runs around a lot, and seems pretty normal.

He gets calcium powder on his food twice a week, and is soaked in calcium powder mixed in water once a week. He spends probably 80% of sunlight hours outdoors in a half shaded area that he has the run of.

If everything is normal except the soft shell, should I be so worried? Or is the soft shell the first sign of MBD in tortoises?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You have to worry about a shell going soft, the shell of a baby can remain soft for months or years (in the wild). There is no need to worry right now if the shell is not going soft.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
His shell is going soft :( But it seems so sudden, and it seems to almost be in correlation with him becoming much more active and eating more, etc.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If the shell is going soft then you have a serious problem, make a vet appointment as soon as possible, be fore warned once they start going soft, it is hard to reverse it but not impossible.

You will need liquid calcium from the vet, I personally have never experienced this but have seen it many times here on the forum.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Thank you. I am going to call the vet tomorrow as soon as they open but I think the exotics vet is only there on tuesdays and thursdays :'(

What do you think happened? He gets lots of calcium and lots of sunshine.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
MBD is not really the shell going soft like that it is what I sometimes call failure to thrive, often times bad care when it was a hatchling, do you mind me asking where you got it from?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes, I know tyler, and he takes great care of his animals,so I don't think that is what happened. I have always believed that to many hatchilngs are being born, not knocking anyone but in the wild that many would not be born. I would stress that the vet understands what is happening, for now I would soak in bird vitamins/baby food preferably something high in calcium or added calcium if possible try and increase the powder calcium, and have as much sunshine access as possible, and no vitamin shots at the vet. Since he is still eating I would lightly sprinkle his food with calcium, don't over do the calcium the smell sometimes turns them off.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
futureleopardtortoise said:
His shell is going soft :( But it seems so sudden, and it seems to almost be in correlation with him becoming much more active and eating more, etc.
You want him active and eating more, it is just coincidence.

futureleopardtortoise said:
Is there anything I will be able to do for him, or do I just have to watch him die?
Sometimes they just die, I won't lie it is a possibility, but the quicker this is addressed the better, plus since he is still active and eating is always a good sign.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
sorry, tried posting that before you posted your response. Thank you. I will try all of those things. Thank you so much.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Try to find a baby food with lots of calcium, then do a baby food and bird vitamin soak. Remember calcium does not work without sunshine.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am 99 percent positive saying that this is more than likely not your fault.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Is it all over, or any particular spot?

Is he acting any different?

Try to stay positive and keep a level head.

Wait until you get a bit more info. Take him to a knowledgeable vet and see how he is, and follow dmmj's advice.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Everything I read says that soft shell coincides with so many other symptoms that he just doesn't have, I'm so confused. I am starting the baby food soaks, I don't think he'll be able to get into the vet until Monday. I hope he'll be okay until then :(

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Honestly, I'm no expert, but it seems like it wouldn't be as serious considering his nonexistant symptoms.

It might just be pliable, and you mightbe over thinking it do to your care for him and not wanting anything to go wrong.

If it actually is going soft, but has no other symptoms, it's a bit puzzling.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Nixxy said:
Honestly, I'm no expert, but it seems like it wouldn't be as serious considering his nonexistant symptoms.

It might just be pliable, and you mightbe over thinking it do to your care for him and not wanting anything to go wrong.

If it actually is going soft, but has no other symptoms, it's a bit puzzling.

I hope you're right. But it definitely feels softer than it has before. And the way I see it, baby food soaks and a vet visit couldn't hurt him, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.