Soaking?

deenamw

Hello. What is soaking? How often do I need to do it? And what do I use to do it? How long do I need to do it? Please help I'm a Greek tortoise newbie.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello. What is soaking? How often do I need to do it? And what do I use to do it? How long do I need to do it? Please help I'm a Greek tortoise newbie.

If you are soaking to make sure added hydration then you can do daily soaks in warm (not too warm) water...you can do it in a high sided plastic container that the tort can not walk out of...let the soak last for 20 to 30 minutes...keeping the water from getting too cool...and keeping an eye on the tort to make sure he does not flip...I like to place the tort in the container and then gently pour the water over the shell of the tort to abiut just where the neck comes out of the shell...also a tort may find this a good time to pee and ppop...so have a clean jug of warm water as well as a plce to dump the nasty water ..some torts will also try to climb as if to get out..not to worry they will eventually get into the groove...

deenamw

If you are soaking to make sure added hydration then you can do daily soaks in warm (not too warm) water...you can do it in a high sided plastic container that the tort can not walk out of...let the soak last for 20 to 30 minutes...keeping the water from getting too cool...and keeping an eye on the tort to make sure he does not flip...I like to place the tort in the container and then gently pour the water over the shell of the tort to abiut just where the neck comes out of the shell...also a tort may find this a good time to pee and ppop...so have a clean jug of warm water as well as a plce to dump the nasty water ..some torts will also try to climb as if to get out..not to worry they will eventually get into the groove...
Also I have a water bin in the enclosure but I never see him in it. So can I just take it out and just soak him everyday?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
You need to switch that out for something flatter. I doubt your tort can climb into that, and even if he can, it isn't safe for him to climb in it or to climb out. That will make him flip over pretty easily and if he flips over into the water bowl, he could drown. If he flips over out of the water bowl and can't flip himself back over, he could dehydrate because of the heat lamp beating down on his plastron. I would suggest replacing it with the water catcher dish that comes with planters or with a soaking dish specific to turtles and tortoises that has an easy enter and exit ramp and isn't too deep. Those can be found in most pet supply stores (PetSmart, AZ Pet and Ponds, some Petco's, etc)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

On a separate item..I would also consider changing out that substrate..peat moss packs down great and also retains moisture well without being soggy..I would also make the substrate at least 5 inches deep ..this will allow the tortoise the ability to dig in and bury himself when he wants to..which appears to make them a bit more comfortable...it also helps to retain some warmth and humidity a bit better..remember that this is an earth loving animal and so the more earth type substrate the better...

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Also, how big is that tank? And what kind of lights are you using? Do you know the temperature differences in the tank? Basking temp, hot side temp, cool side temp, night time temp. Do you know what the humidity level is? Last thing; what have you been feeding him?