Soaking with aquarium water

mrtoofay

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Guys, I tried searching but can't find anything. I have a few Burmese Star hatching that's doing well with daily soaks. I also have a few large aquariums where I keep freshwater tropical fish at 85F. I figure since I need to do regular water changes already, might as well just put the water to good use.

I am wondering, how do you guys feel about just using the aquarium water for their soaks. I can either just drain some water out for their soak, or even better, just put them in the sump, so the water gets circulated back through mechanical, biological and UV filters and not waste any water.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi Guys, I tried searching but can't find anything. I have a few Burmese Star hatching that's doing well with daily soaks. I also have a few large aquariums where I keep freshwater tropical fish at 85F. I figure since I need to do regular water changes already, might as well just put the water to good use.

I am wondering, how do you guys feel about just using the aquarium water for their soaks. I can either just drain some water out for their soak, or even better, just put them in the sump, so the water gets circulated back through mechanical, biological and UV filters and not waste any water.
If your Burmese are anything like mine, they will poop a ton in the water. So circulating seems out of the question. I wouldn't want that water going back into my tank system!

I also find mine do and act best if I use water that is more in the mid 90's. They are more active - which I want the exercise - and they poop more - I like things moving through the system! I think the 30 - 45 min soak I use also ensures their body temps get up to the 90's which is good activity level for them. I also need to change the water a few times to remove waste, and heat back up.

Aquarium water can also have a buildup of nitrates. Sounds like you have a great system, but still nitrates are something I would not want to have elevated levels in the soak.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fish poop and pee in the aquarium water. I wouldn't want my tortoise drinking that (however, my dog drinks out of the pond and that's pretty yucky)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I would not use aquarium water for soaks.

We have a tropical aquarium and even before the fish poop in it, it's not pure water in there.

You have to add stuff to the water for the fish.

Would you drink water from the aquarium? I wouldn't! And I wouldn't make anything else drink it either.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

I would love to see some pictures of your Burmese. They are my favorite tortoise. And their enclosure too! I love to see how people have come up with ideas on enclosures. And do you mind sharing where you got the tortoises?

Welcome to the forum.

mrtoofay

Southern California
Thank you guys,

These are exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. What a fantastic place!! I wasn't worried about the fish, the systems can handle all the ammonia and nitrite there is, it's the nitrate that needs to be dealt with with water changes. I was kinda hoping that if the nitrates aren't too harmful to the fish, should be ok to the tortoises. Wanted to save a lil water here n' there, with the California drought and whatnot.

Another reason I was thinking about using the aquarium water is that our tap water is usually chlorinated, which is not good for fish, not that good for us, and I guess won't be good for the tortoises as well. Since the aquarium water is already de-chlorinated, it may be less irritating to them. Let me work on some pictures when I get home later today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Aquarium water has too much bacteria and nitrogenous waste in it. I used to work in a fish store and I also used to import fish. My doctors had to order special lab forms to send in with the stuff they cultured from me because the whole wall of standard lab forms didn't have what they needed.

The low levels of chlorine and chloramine in tap water make it more sanitary and safe to drink. While it is not good for animals like fish or amphibians that breathe the water, it is better and more clean for mammals, birds and our reptiles. If your tap water is safe for you to drink, then it is safe for your baby stars. All of my 100's of hatchling tortoises over the years have been started in tap from day one.

Would you drink your aquarium water? I wouldn't. Not without boiling it first.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
regarding chlorine in the tap water if you let it sit for about a minute it dissipates, you can actually see it dissipating if you watch it

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
regarding chlorine in the tap water if you let it sit for about a minute it dissipates, you can actually see it dissipating if you watch it
Chlorine dissipates in about 24 hours. Most municipalities have gone to chloramine now as the life of chloramine is in the weeks instead of hours and is much better therefore for treating water supplies. Although both can be toxic to fish as it inhibits the gills from being able to properly absorb oxygen, it will have no effect on turtles or tortoises, and in fact a little antibacterial effect. In a turtle tank I will dechlorinate not for the health of my turtles, but to keep the healthy bacteria alive in my filter system.

mrtoofay

Southern California
Having problems uploading to photobucket, so I guess I'll do this as attachment. Here's the pictures of their indoor enclosure which was made from a 55 gallon tote. The two lamps are on a acrylic lid that slides to make access easier. They are starting to warp, need to secure them to two more aluminum strips to stop that from happening. Got two identical ones running right now. The stars came from two difference sources, so I'm separating them for now til 6 months down the road. The two stars in together in the same picture are siblings, and the two other ones are supposedly from different bloodlines.

The outdoor sunning setup consists of 2 sets of 2 6' wooden planks with a hinge, the bird netting is secured on 3 wooden poles just a little longer than 6'. As the two outer poles drapes over the planks, it keeps the netting semi-tight. This is temporary and portable setup, I can move it anywhere in the yard depending on the sun and whatnot.

IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2253.JPG IMG_2255.JPG IMG_2254.JPG IMG_2256.JPG IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG

mrtoofay

Southern California
Fish poop and pee in the aquarium water. I wouldn't want my tortoise drinking that (however, my dog drinks out of the pond and that's pretty yucky)

Yes, but they poop and pee in their water as well, they are drinking their own and other tortoises' pee too!!! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chlorine dissipates in about 24 hours. Most municipalities have gone to chloramine now as the life of chloramine is in the weeks instead of hours and is much better therefore for treating water supplies. Although both can be toxic to fish as it inhibits the gills from being able to properly absorb oxygen, it will have no effect on turtles or tortoises, and in fact a little antibacterial effect. In a turtle tank I will dechlorinate not for the health of my turtles, but to keep the healthy bacteria alive in my filter system.
You beat me to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

If you are referring to the little bubbles that form, those are dissolved gasses coming out of solution. When water is colder or under pressure, it can hold more gasses dissolved as part of the liquid solution. When the pressure is lessened, like letting it out of the pressurized pipe and into a glass at atmospheric pressure, or when the temperature rises, like when cold tap warms to room temp, those dissolved gasses come out of solution and form bubbles.

A similar effect can be observed when the top is open on a carbonated beverage, thus releasing the pressure, and the Co2 comes out of solution and makes lots of fizzy bubbles.

I really embraced this concept when I got SCUBA certified and learned about the "bends". My life literally depended on full mastery of this concept and how it works in the human body.

And that completes our lesson for today class...