Soaking Russian Tort?

Hello,

I have a Russian tortoise who lives outside in my warm, humid southeastern backyard during the warm months. I know that it is a lot more humid than it would be in the desert (of course!) and it rains a lot more--even though I take her in if we're going to have a week of thunderstorms she still gets a good splashing every day or two. I don't keep a water bowl in her outdoor enclosure because it breeds mosquitos, but I was wondering if I should do a weekly/biweekly soaking to hydrate her. Will the rain take care of that? Thanks so much for your help!

-MyrtlesMum0131

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
with no wate bowl I wouldn't do daily but I do 5 times a week probably that's what I would do anyways

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree, almost daily soaks. Mosquitoes are only attracted to standing water right? I live in the NW, so the problem is probably less, but we ran a hose from one of our sprinkler pipes into my tortoises pond. Everyday this way fresh water is dumped in. I would try to rig something so the water is moving and clean enough to not cause a problem.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
just FYI they will drink out of a running stream if you can set something up

Thank you all for your replies! I will do daily soaks; yes, mosquitos are only attracted to standing water. A stream sounds like a neat idea; her enclosure right now isn't permanent so I won't likely install something but I could get a little stream up with the hose. Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I have a Russian tortoise who lives outside in my warm, humid southeastern backyard during the warm months. I know that it is a lot more humid than it would be in the desert (of course!) and it rains a lot more--even though I take her in if we're going to have a week of thunderstorms she still gets a good splashing every day or two. I don't keep a water bowl in her outdoor enclosure because it breeds mosquitos, but I was wondering if I should do a weekly/biweekly soaking to hydrate her. Will the rain take care of that? Thanks so much for your help!

-MyrtlesMum0131

Even in a warm climate, mosquitos have at least a 48 hour time frame from egg to adult.

Your tortoise needs fresh water daily and all you have to do is dump, rinse and refill the shallow water dish daily. Terra cotta plant saucers work best.

Soaking twice a week is also a good idea on top of the access to a water bowl.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
@terryo. has a beautiful outdoor enclosure with a stream maybe she'll give some advice

Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that about mosquitos; thanks for telling me and I will certainly leave a dish outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice! I didn't know that about mosquitos; thanks for telling me and I will certainly leave a dish outside.

Its 48 hours in warm weather for the eggs to hatch. Then they need four molts before they can pupate.

The whole life cycle takes 10-14 days depending on temperature.
http://www.mosquito.org/life-cycle

So you have a long time to change the water before mosquitos are an issue.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The only place in my yard where you can sit without getting bitten by mosquito's is near the turtle garden. The frogs in the pond and the turtles eat the mosquito larva. I would just put a little pond in there for her and let her decide when she wants to soak. Throw some tad poles in there and they will eat the larva. My turtles usually eat the frog eggs, but this one made it. IMG_4663.JPG .