Soaking my sulcata and Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboose

5 Year Member
What temperature should i keep the water when i bathe and soak my tortoises? Also i soak my tortoises everyday but how often should i bathe them? Also what should i bathe them with? For now i just use a tooth brush that i clean every time after a bath. Is this ok?

My Sulcata Michelangelo[TURTLE]
and my RedFoot Raphael [TURTLE]

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
How old are they? Do you soak them separate? Luke warm water, tooth brush is fine, soft bristles. But not necessary to do every time. 15-20 min soaks

Caboose

5 Year Member
I think they are a couple month old i got them at a pet store in June so they are still babies and yes i bathe and soak them separately

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No need for the tooth brush.

I use a thermometer and keep the water between 85 and 90. I don't know what you mean by "bathe". I just soak mine in a tub with plain warm water.

Caboose

5 Year Member
I like to clean the tortoises shells top and bottom. And this is what i put them in for nowImageUploadedByTortForum1376160283.856216.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376160296.437821.jpg. Also how high should the water lvl be?

Also when ever i try to soak my tortoises they are always trying to get out. Is this a problem especially the sulcata

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Caboose said:
I like to clean the tortoises shells top and bottom. And this is what i put them in for now. Also how high should the water lvl be?

Also when ever i try to soak my tortoises they are always trying to get out. Is this a problem especially the sulcata

Water level should be up to the lower part of the neck. They should not be stretching to get their head out of water. Also, if you use something that they cannot see out of they will not try to get out of it. Its good that the sulcata is moving while it is soaking anyways. It gets things moving...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go to Walmart and get some black dish washing tubs. They cost $1.82 last I checked. The taller opaque sides will usually settle the tortoises down.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The 3 white tubs are the exact tubs Tom is referring to. They come in different colors. I use black for the Russians, white for the leopards.

See where the water level is? Just above the legs where bottom shell meets top shell.
I temp my water to be 95 degrees or so.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my TFOapp

Attachments

• 1376176064174.jpg
    1376176064174.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 33

Caboose

5 Year Member
Thank you. I just got all the wood and paint to build my two tortoise enclosures. If you want to know what it will look like i can make another thread but its guna be cool. 4ct by 4ft 3 ft tall in the back 2ft in the front with a glass window connecting the back to front at an angle. The top ft of the back is going to be glass because im building a second stored for the plants and a sun spot with a ramp to get up on because i have a window in my wall that will let sun into the tank for the seeds to grow and for my tortoises to get sun light.

Oh and i got the tubs at Walmart and will use them tomorrow :)

Caboose

5 Year Member
Its a black Redfoot ImageUploadedByTortForum1376182217.361375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Cant wait to see...

Cant wait to see when its finished...by the way. For a redfoot. 95* for soaking is a little too warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.