So I Live in Indiana and...

Evan Jackson

Location (City and/or State)
Western Indiana
So I live in Indiana and I've admired tortoises for years(going so far as to create a unique race in D&D ;).

Anyways, I'd love to raise one.

I'm heavily considering either a Hermann's or a Greek. (Though Id LOVVVE to raise a cherryhead or redfoot, but I don't believe they'd be an option because of the costs of setup and maintenance, as well as the discomfort they'd experience if said setup were to fail for some reason). I have a small background in construction (I'm currently building a cat enclosure for the local animal shelter for my Eagle Project) and would be building the turtle table from scratch, as well as a outdoor area seperate from my dogs once they grow for in the summer.

But yeah, my main concern is the current climate and how it may affect the tortoise even in its own environment, and if there is anything beyond what the caresheet says that I should be cautious of.

Side notes:
I'm 17
It will more than likely be a few months until I can purchase a tortoise and prepare its accomadations.
The tortoise would most likely be kept upstairs in my bedroom since the dogs are not allowed up there. (They like to hide "presents" up there)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome Evan! You've come to the right place to do your homework!

p-lizzle

Chicago, IL
Hi! I was born in northwest Indiana! I still live quite close as I've only moved across state lines in the hegewisch neighbourhood and still work in NWI, so I get the climate thing. Its always so unpredictable.

I'm still pretty new to this thing, as I've only adopted my russian Aioki 2 weeks ago. When I first got him, it was still kinda cold, within the 30s. I usually keep my room temp and humidity regulated at 70 degrees and 50% humidity because of my guitars, so it was easy maintaining Aioki's environment because I'm familiar with maintaining these things. Even when it was cold outside, Aioki was pretty comfortable when he first came home, he's been a little social butterfly ever since, even more so now that he gets to go outside.

I did a lot of homework on different types of torts and how to maintain their environment in our crazy climate, and I only had 2 weeks to figure it all out as Aioki was an impulsive adoption, but if you have a few months, I feel like you'll be well prepared by time you bring yours home! This forum helped me loads so you've definitely come to the right place! Everyone here knows a lot and is ready to share their wisdom with us newbies!

Gus.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!

4wzAwVa.gif

Amyjk7110

Indiana
Hi! I was born in northwest Indiana! I still live quite close as I've only moved across state lines in the hegewisch neighbourhood and still work in NWI, so I get the climate thing. Its always so unpredictable.

I live in NW Indiana! :) Portage, to be exact.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I know NW Indiana well. Grew up outside of Fort Wayne.
Couple ideas. Since you can build, think of as large a floor area as possible. If keeping in a bedroom a 2 story tort enclosure makes sense.

There is a section called Tortoise Enclosures. Many great ideas in there & the folks here are very good at helping along the way if you are open to ideas.

I would suggest you build the enclosure before getting the tortoise. Just makes sense & then you don't have to disrupt him twice.

Good fortune to you
You've come to the premier info site for tortoises on the internet.

Alaskamike

South Florida
PS.
It does my old heart good to see an enterprising young man.
Keep up the learning & giving back to your community !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Evan, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
The world is your lobster if you get the set up right.
Read through the caresheets here under the species specific section and see what would suit your requirements.

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
Hi Evan!!!
I'm in Indiana too! We just got a Hermann and love it!!! Such personality and it's still sooo little!! We went the reptile show at the fairgrounds to get our little guy (don't really know gender yet)! The breeders there were great! They had a lot of good advice and their prices were very competitive! We went in march decided what we wanted and prepared at home and went back in August to get him!!! I am very happy with our choice!!