So I found this!

Odin & Thor

I need a new substrate for my enclosure with two baby stars. They need a higher humidity, so I found this product from Zoomed called Reptisoil. It contains Peat Moss, soil, sand, and carbon.
Do you think I could use that??

I also thought about adding some peat moss and orchid bark in there, do you think that would be okay?

Thanks for any advice! :D

Torlava

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I’ve been using Reptisoil recently and so I have done exactly as you have done but have ended up just going around seeing what ppl are saying. Everything I have read about people’s’ reaction two of the ingredients (sand being the main issue) has made me question my usage but honestly I think it is an overreaction. Yes a primarily sand substrate is not good for your tortoise because of respiratory and digestion issues it may cause but because it is mixed with other ingredients and doesn’t seem to even encompass 25% of the mixture I don’t personally think it will become an issue; it’s also not like sand isn’t present in soil in the wild. Peat moss is an issue for some people because of how acidic it is, but again it’s mixed with other materials—plus it will decrease your substrate’s chance at molding. If you want to play it safe, like how I did, I just mixed the reptisoil with some cypress bedding from ZooMed at a 50/50 ratio just to eliminate the reptisoil from becoming too overbearing and messy for my hatchlings. I hope this helped at all and maybe you’ll hear differently but I don’t think I’m incorrect. I hope your tortoises are well and now that I have come to the end of my response I have realized this was posted in 2016 xD. Well... stay safe

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Just going off of the ingredients, it sounds like like it's almost meant to be the ZooMed version of ABG soil. It would probably be a good starter bioactive substrate, especially when you add bark or mulch to it as well.