So happy my Russian Tortoise is gaining weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
I am so happy!!! My Russian tortoise is finally gaining weight for the first time since I rescued him on August, 06, 2011. I don't know how to explain it, he was 824 grams when I rescued him, then steadily was losing weight up until last few days. He was only 756 grams a week ago but yesterday he weighed 798 grams. I was ecstatic when I saw this, I have been so worried about his weight loss but now I am so relieved. I figure he must of needed a lot of time to finally feel comfortable, not sure, but I am so happy. I just wanted to share this with all of you, thank you for all the reassurance.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well that is wonderful news! Let's hope he continues to gain. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is always a good feeling when your animal grows.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Wow! 798 grams? How big is he? My Russian is an adult and he's only 320 grams!

rockyMTNtortoise

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs
Talka said:
Wow! 798 grams? How big is he? My Russian is an adult and he's only 320 grams!

Sorry, have not been on the computer for a while. My RT is about 8 inches long and his approximate age is about 13-15 years old.

priscillamatos

5 Year Member
i just rescued a russian from a real bad situation and im not sure how well he is doing i have alot of rescued animals and he is the one i worry about most he is very thin and wen he dose number one its white witch i now is fine but it also is very liquidy and i herd its suposed to be more solid if you can give me some pointers on how you did it i would be very greatful

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
rockyMTNtortoise, that is great news!!! Now that the weather is warming up, he will hopefully continue to have quite an appetite!

priscillamatos said:
i just rescued a russian from a real bad situation and im not sure how well he is doing i have alot of rescued animals and he is the one i worry about most he is very thin and wen he dose number one its white witch i now is fine but it also is very liquidy and i herd its suposed to be more solid if you can give me some pointers on how you did it i would be very greatful

You might want to start a new post so your questions are addressed more thoroughly. The creamy white stuff is urates, and are normal periodically, along with clear urine. You want to make sure he is soaked regularly especially at first as he is probably dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.