So frustrated. E. box turtle hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Ok, why are Dubai crickets better? Thanks.
a much better feeder with higher protein and excellent nutritional value. and They keep better than crickets too. The only issue is they are faster, so to make it easy I squash the heads a little so they still move but the turtles can catch them.

I usually just start small turtles with crickets to get them started definitely not a main stay.

Last edited by a moderator:

tiffew

Just wanted to share the happy news...our turtle ate another cricket today! I am so happy. I dusted it with vitamin and calcium powder first and will go buy the Fluker food to feed the other crickets we have for the next day.

Are pillbugs or crickets healthier for him?

Thanks for the help.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Just wanted to share the happy news...our turtle ate another cricket today! I am so happy. I dusted it with vitamin and calcium powder first and will go buy the Fluker food to feed the other crickets we have for the next day.

Are pillbugs or crickets healthier for him?

Thanks for the help.
Pillbugs are healthier but it's great that he's eating crickets. I'd imagine if he's eating crickets he would be willing to eat the pillbugs.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I'm sure turtles run across and eat pillbugs naturally ......... I don't know what the effect of them being a main part of their diet would be , but..........

http://www.naturalnews.com/049190_rollie_pollies_heavy_metals_soil_remediation.html

Pill bugs clean up soil and protect ground water from heavy metal contamination
One very unique quality that these crustaceans possess is their ability to safely remove heavy metals from soil. For this reason, they are an important tool for cleaning up soil contaminated with pollutants like lead, cadmium and arsenic. In coal spoils and slag heaps, pill bugs come in handy. They take in heavy metals like lead and cadmium and crystallize these ions in their guts. The heavy metal toxins are then made into spherical deposits in the mid gut. With this special cleanup property, pill bugs survive where most creatures can't, in the most contaminated sites.
The magic of the pill bugs helps reestablish healthy soil and prevents toxic metal ions from leaching into the groundwater. This means pill bugs are also protecting well water from becoming contaminated while stabilizing soils.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm sure turtles run across and eat pillbugs naturally ......... I don't know what the effect of them being a main part of their diet would be , but..........

http://www.naturalnews.com/049190_rollie_pollies_heavy_metals_soil_remediation.html

Pill bugs clean up soil and protect ground water from heavy metal contamination
One very unique quality that these crustaceans possess is their ability to safely remove heavy metals from soil. For this reason, they are an important tool for cleaning up soil contaminated with pollutants like lead, cadmium and arsenic. In coal spoils and slag heaps, pill bugs come in handy. They take in heavy metals like lead and cadmium and crystallize these ions in their guts. The heavy metal toxins are then made into spherical deposits in the mid gut. With this special cleanup property, pill bugs survive where most creatures can't, in the most contaminated sites.
The magic of the pill bugs helps reestablish healthy soil and prevents toxic metal ions from leaching into the groundwater. This means pill bugs are also protecting well water from becoming contaminated while stabilizing soils.
They can be ordered online.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Personally, I wouldn't be paying any amount for something that is plentiful in your garden, flower beds, landscaping or any wooded area right now. You can even trap pill bugs with a large potato. Drill or cut a 3/4 inch hole out of a potato the long way and then plug one end of the hole. Leave the other end open and place it in your garden or a wooded area, cover it with leaves or even wet newspaper, and leave it for a few days. Then take a mason jar and tap the potatoe contents into the jar. Watch your Rollie's fall right in:)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Personally, I wouldn't be paying any amount for something that is plentiful in your garden, flower beds, landscaping or any wooded area right now. You can even trap pill bugs with a large potato. Drill or cut a 3/4 inch hole out of a potato the long way and then plug one end of the hole. Leave the other end open and place it in your garden or a wooded area, cover it with leaves or even wet newspaper, and leave it for a few days. Then take a mason jar and tap the potatoe contents into the jar. Watch your Rollie's fall right in:)
I agree. But they were worried about toxic metals or something. In that case I'd just keep them and feed for a week or so before feeding to turtles. Pill bugs are a great source of nutrition!

I don't order them online, but you can.

tiffew

We have a large property and have no shortage of pillbugs. Sadly he seems to have no interest in them and now no interest in crickets either. :( The cricket will crawl on his shell or even on his head and he does nothing. We are trying everything for this stubborn turtle. On Saturday he weighed 25.5 grams, today was down to 22, which is less than he was when we got him in February. I cannot get the darn little guy to eat consistently and its really stressing me out.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
We have a large property and have no shortage of pillbugs. Sadly he seems to have no interest in them and now no interest in crickets either. :( The cricket will crawl on his shell or even on his head and he does nothing. We are trying everything for this stubborn turtle. On Saturday he weighed 25.5 grams, today was down to 22, which is less than he was when we got him in February. I cannot get the darn little guy to eat consistently and its really stressing me out.
He still won't eat any kind of earthworms?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, I'm understanding your frustration. Did you leave worms or pillbugs in the enclosure for him to hunt? If so, maybe he's eating those? When did he last poop?

tiffew

Yes we are leaving them in there. We know he's not eating them because we see them in the moss.

I think we last saw a poop on Thursday. It was brown. We saw it while soaking him. Didn't soak him Saturday though so I don't know if he pooped then.

tiffew

Again no food today. Down to 20 grams now. :( I soaked him in critical care tonight. Would give anything for the little guy to eat and thrive!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Again no food today. Down to 20 grams now. :( I soaked him in critical care tonight. Would give anything for the little guy to eat and thrive!

Can you take a picture of him out of his shell and post it? Holding it similar to this, so we can get a view of him and verify if something is wrong with him physically?:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493204793.338915.jpg

tiffew

Yes, will attempt that today. He usually goes in his shell when we pick him up.