Small cut on nose

stacipii1

Hello,

My tortoise, Sheldon, has gotten himself a small cut on his nose right in between his nostrils. He has always been a very rambunctious and active guy so shell scratches and marks I'm used to but cuts I'm not! He is breathing and eating fine, drinking water fine, and acting completely normal. Both nostrils are clear. I'm mainly worried about infection and keeping the spot clean.

There has been no bleeding since the initial cut, now it just looks red. He lets me clean it with a damp Q-tip and warm water. He has always had a slight squeak to his breathing at times (but not all the time) which his vet said is fine because his lungs were clear and he had no parasites.

I tried to get a picture but he wouldn't stop moving so they're pretty blurry. Also he was mad that I was chasing him around with a phone in his face haha! Also, I know he's looking dry here but that's because I had to chase him around my living room for almost an hour to get a photo!

Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks!!
IMG_1998.JPG IMG_1999.JPG

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Mine scrape their noses like that on occasion, I usually don't do anything about it unless they keep scraping it or it stays red for days on end. Usually it heals quickly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think we as a whole really go overboard on small injuries. Treat it like you would treat your own nose if this injury was on your face instead of his. No big deal.

stacipii1

Thank you for responding quickly! I will chalk this one up to Sheldon being Sheldon and let it heal in it's own. Like his vet told me, it's no different than a little kid on a playground, they're going to get hurt but they'll be fine.