Small box turtles

M

Maggie Cummings

Everyone knows I got 3 box turtles at Christmas (or so). Tootsie has a bottom jaw problem, she has a hole that goes into her esophagus. I think it was bitten off in the nest. Her nares is also misshapen. This is how I feed her. There's 3 different ways, but she'll eat some if I plop her in the middle of the food. She also gets soaked in baby food 3 times a day and I try to give her little squirts in the side of her jaw with a teeny syringe about 5 times a day. She still weighs 6 grams. But I'm trying all I know and the Vet too. She gave me some Critical Care, so Tootsie gets that too.
I also got a yearling 3-toed. Both hatchlings are Easterns, I hope. But Tootsie's kind looking 3-toed....anyhow, here they are. The hatchlings were the same size when I got them, now Sweetie weighs 18 grams from 7 in 2 months, and the yearling, (Fred) is 30 grams now. Up from 10 2 months ago. They are great eaters, really like fruit. Thank God for the blackberry bramble behind my yard....and actually, Tootsie is more active then the other 2. They are not together, Tootsie is in a 'hospital' tank with some substrate, but mostly paper towel and a half log and a humid hide.....anyhow, though you might like to see them even without a story.....
See why Ginger couldn't find her last slug???hahaha Please excuse the "Gopherus katicus" in a box turtle thread....:)
IMG_4758.JPG IMG_4753.JPG IMG_4738.JPG IMG_4731.JPG IMG_4697.JPG IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4687.JPG IMG_4662.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Nice pictures, as always, Maggie. So glad you've figured out the camera/computer thing and gotten back online.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
They are adorable! I am so glad the one with the hole is thriving under a great nurse.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Great work. Really nice pictures too. Keep us informed on tootsies progress, she is adorable.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
So glad that baby found you Maggie. Now she has a great chance. Glad to see you here with all your wonderful pictures. Got any good Bob stories for us?