slightly wet smelly poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
Hi all, I'm a first time tort owner and just wanted some advice.
My tort Om has been doing normal poos but today they seem quite wet and more smelly than normal. Should I be worried or is it just like humans and they vary a little day to day. He's eating normally and his wees seem fine, just a little worried!
Thanks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
While tortoise stools seem to remain pretty constant in color and consistency, just like us diet is a factor. For instance, I have been spoiling my big sulcata giving the boys some watermelon that had gotten frozen outside. I noticed today, the one did a softer stool then normal. It's exactly what I would have expected.

So if your tortoise's stool changes, first ask yourself if you have given him any new food? Normally it seems it's the fruits that make the stool softer, but feeding things like worm can quickly change consistency of a stool, too. If you have not changed the diet, another thing to think about are parasites and getting a stool sample into the Vet.

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
I've recently.started.feeding.him wild.clover so possibly its.that as I.got.him.for.a.pet store where they were.feeding him fruit pellets so possibly it's his system reacting to fresh food for the first time.in his little.life!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I don't think the clover would do it. How long have you had him?

Ratchet99

5 Year Member
At the moment I'm ashamed to say fruit pellets and occasionally dandelion leaves, tomato and cucumber but the last two have only happened twice on separate days from each other.
Im growing him fresh food but till that's ready I'm having to make do!

Status
Not open for further replies.