Size average 5 year old Hermann

Kimm91

Hi guys

Robin is 5 years old this year and it's looking more likely to be female. Any ideas on roughly what size she should be round about now? I know it's different for each tort but just an average would be great

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Well, HERE is a chart of wild Hermanns (the green like is for thb in Greece), showing the age (years) and SCL(mm).
But you would rather need one of tortoises that were kept like yours (number and lenght of hibernations,...).

Robin gained only 20g in more than two years? That's unusually slow growth for pet tortoises, definitely not average. o_O

Kimm91

That's what I thought. She eats plenty and always has water her shell looks healthy no pyramiding or dryness I don't know if it's possible that she is just going to be a really small tort

Kimm91

Although she didn't have the best start. Before I got her she lived in a tiny polystyrene box with a desk lamp that was so close her shell was burned and she was living off iceberg lettuce could that have impacted her growth?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Who knows, but I don't think that's the cause since she was growing fast in the first few months.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Ok so my Charlie was in Feb 14 2016 - 35 grams. He is now April 11 2017 - 310 grams!!!

So I don't even know what normal is any more. Charts are no use in captive bred animals who don't need to go look for food!

I think as long as he/she is healthy and happy that's all that matters.

James

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Ok so my Charlie was in Feb 14 2016 - 35 grams. He is now April 11 2017 - 310 grams!!!

So I don't even know what normal is any more. Charts are no use in captive bred animals who don't need to go look for food!

I think as long as he/she is healthy and happy that's all that matters.

James
I guess Charlie didn't hibernate and always had warm night temperatures? Then it's quite normal for them to grow really fast.
But to grow even slower than wild Hermanns despite overwintering and abundance of food... hmmm... Can't hurt to check for parasites if your husbandry is correct?

Kimm91

Think I'll book a vet appointment then just to double check everything. Her set up I used as much information as I could get from on here so temps etc are all fine

Thanks a lot guys