Simple Outdoor Leaves Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

kameya

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, California
I have always wanted to make an outdoor feeder so the little tortoises can eat their veggies more easily and cleanly...and this is what I came up using a very simple PVC pipe setup.
outdoor-feeder-01.jpg

I built this feeder using only the scrapping materials I had found around my garage...pvc pipes,plastic fence pieces, and the office metal binder clips. Then bury the feeder deep into the soil and it is ready to use.
outdoor-feeder-02.jpg

Attach the romaine lettuce leaves to the binder clip and adjust the height accordingly...
outdoor-feeder-03.jpg

The shot of the complete setup in the habitat...but seemed like it was missing something...THERE'S NO TORTOISE EATING THE LEAVES... :p
outdoor-feeder-04.jpg

Here, I've got one little tortoise model out there for the photoshoot.
Eat, Tortoise, Eat... :tort:
outdoor-feeder-05.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neat idea. But isn't too high for little torts? They can reach so little of it. Also, what is the black strips for that go around the black pipes pipes?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Chip clips are great for holding leaves for torts!

I use them too, but buried into the ground. It'll hold the leaf steady for grazing like a bush and the tort can reach all of it.

BUT I like your pvc idea to hold the clip steady. sometimes my lil' tort will drag the clip around.

maybe the pvc frame could be ground level. it'll hold the clip stationary while giving them full access to the leaf...

i think you've inspired me to modify my clip to make it more stationary ;)

this is my current chip clip set up
o0qk5k.jpg

kameya

10 Year Member!
Orange County, California
wellington said:
Neat idea. But isn't too high for little torts? They can reach so little of it. Also, what is the black strips for that go around the black pipes pipes?

The black strips around the black pipe is a piece of black plastic screen fence material, and the the binder clip is attached to the strip.
outdoor-feeder-06.jpg

This setup is designed to be fully adjustable. The height of the clip can be adjusted along the black strip that way you can set the clip higher with a full leaves and lower the clip once the tortoises finished eating the bottom part of the leaves. Also, the plastc strip is flexible, so when the tortoises pull on the leaves, the system will have a little spring action to help leaves stayed in place.

This setup is designed to be fully adjustable.
outdoor-feeder-06.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.